RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Urlmon.dll is used by Microsoft software to download the Object Linking And Embedding library to your PC. It is essentially a framework of files and settings that your software will use to integrate hyperlinks and other “objects” into your programs. If you have errors caused by this file, it indicates that you have a problem with the file or software that is trying to use it.
The Urlmon.dll error message may appear if this DLL file becomes inaccessible OR if the operating system cannot recover this file. Sometimes urlmon.dll errors can indicate a registration problem, a computer virus or malware problem, or even a hardware failure.
Urlmon.dll Is Missing or Not Found Error
The most common types of Urlmon.dll error messages reported by users on a Windows computer are as follows:
- Urlmon.dll not found
- The file urlmon.dll is missing
- Urlmon.dll Access Violation
- Cannot register urlmon.dll
- Cannot find C:\Windows\System32\urlmon.dll
Although in most cases, the Urlmon.dll error occurs due to missing or corrupted DLL files, this error can also be caused by malware or corrupted registry and system files.
You should be able to correct the Urlmon.dll error on your computer using the methods listed below.
Re-register DLL files
- Click Start, click Run, and then press Enter.
- Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll in the Open box, then click OK.
- Click OK when you receive the following message: DllRegisterServer has successfully started in urlmon.dll
- Restart the computer.
Download the urlmon.dll file.
If it has not been saved there, download the urlmon.dll file from the official website and install it.
- Download the latest Urlmon.dll file and click on “My Computer”, then navigate to C:/Windows/System32.
- And find the current Urlmon.dll file on your PC.
- Rename the current file on your PC to “urlmon.dll.old” or similar.
- And place the recently downloaded Urlmon.dll file in this folder.
- And restart your PC.
Perform a complete virus/malware scan.
It is discussed above that urlmon.dll errors can be associated with a computer virus or other malicious infection on your computer that damaged the DLL file. By scanning your entire computer system or laptop using a powerful antivirus or antimalware program, this DLL file can be free of any type of virus infection.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.