Last Updated on May 23, 2022
Updated July 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
If your software VPN isn’t working properly, there are a few things you can do: check your network settings, change servers, make sure the correct ports are open, disable your firewall, and reinstall your software VPN. If none of the following methods work, contact your VPN provider.
In Settings, select Network and > Internet VPN.
Next to the VPN connection you want to use, select Connect.
When prompted, enter your username, password, and/or other credentials.
A VPN is used by many to ensure that it cannot be traced through the Internet, or sometimes to connect to the VPN to be on a secure network. Sometimes network problems lead to an error and you cannot connect. Either the website is not loaded or you cannot connect to a network via VPN. In this article, we’ll give you some tips on how to solve problems with Windows 10 VPN that don’t work.
If you have problems connecting to the VPN, this guide shows how to resolve Windows 10 VPN problems that do not work. This post provides solutions for – the VPN client does not work or does not connect, but does not connect, connects, but the web page does not load, could not initialize the connection, etc….. The solution can be a simple DNS flush or as complex as editing a registry entry. Let’s take a look at the details.
Just before you begin, here are some basic troubleshooting tips you need to troubleshoot VPN issues on Windows 10. First make sure that your Windows 10 is updated to the latest version. Some updates fix known issues around the VPN, which helps immediately. Secondly: Reinstall the network drivers to the latest version or try older drivers to see if this is fixed. Finally, the problem could be as simple as Cached DNS. Although you changed it, the computer uses an old address. So you can clear the DNS cache. You can also check if your router needs an update. The information is available via the router’s web interface.
VPN does not work on Windows 10
Let’s take a look at some of the advanced troubleshooting tips for VPN. These tips need someone with a good knowledge of Windows 10. To do this, you need an administrator account.
1] Reinstalling VPN software
If you are using VPN software, it is always a good idea to reinstall it. Often, the software configuration is the cause of the problem and easy reinstallation fixes it. Also check if your VPN software subscription has expired.
2] Reinstall mini WAN ports
Mini WAN ports are drivers for different types of network connections. WAN (IP), WAN Miniport (IPv6) and WAN Miniport (PPTP) miniports are used for VPN connections, i.e. connection to a PPTP VPN server. You can easily reinstall the drivers under Windows.
- Open Device Manager
- Find Network Adapter
- Uninstall Miniport WAN (IP), Miniport WAN (IPv6) and Miniport WAN (PPTP)
- Click Action, then Check for hardware changes
- The adapters just uninstalled should return
Try again. I hope you can leave.
3] TAP-Windows Adapter
These are virtual, i.e. software-based, network devices that provide virtual TAP device functionality on the Windows operating system. It is often necessary for the VPN software to work properly. We highly recommend our tutorial on TAP Windows Adapters
4] Add an exception for UDP by editing The Registry
UDP or User Datagram Protocol is another type of data transmission, just like TCP. However, UDP is mainly used to establish connections with low latency and low loss tolerance between applications on the Internet. Many VPN software and even Windows use it. If there is a security problem, it fails, i.e. UDP must configure the security associations if the server and Windows PC.
Follow these steps to access the Registry Editor. You may need to create or update new entries.
- ( 9)
- Save your registration.
- Enter regedit in the Cortana search bar and open the registry editor from the results list
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesPolicyAgent
- Right click and create a new DWORD value (32 bits).
- Type , then press ENTER.
- Right-click AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule, then click Modify.
- In Value Data A value of 2 configures Windows to be able to establish security associations when the server and the Windows based VPN client computer are behind NAT devices.
- Restart and try again.
5] Configure Firewall
The Windows Firewall ensures that no unsecured or unauthorized connections reach your PC. The Windows firewall can disable or block these requests from the VPN software if they pose a threat.
- Enter Firewall in the Cortana search bar and select Allow application via Windows Firewall.
- Click the button Change Settings
- Search your VPN software in the VPN software list. Make sure both public and private networks are enabled.
- If your software is not listed, you can find it manually with Allow another application.
- Confirm the changes and try connecting again via your VPN.
- Open Network and Internet then Network and Sharing Center.
- In the left pane, select Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click VPN Network Adapter and open Properties.
- Uncheck the box next to IPv6 and confirm the changes.
6] Disabling IPv6
IPv6 can often cause network connection problems. While the default setting is always IPv4, you can perform the scan by disabling IPv6 and running everything on IPv4. Each VPN creates a software network adapter. Simply change the adapter settings for this VPN to IPv4.
Restart your PC if necessary and try again.
See this article if you want to disable IPv6 on your computer.
Do you have a VPN error code for your problem?
If you have an error code for your VPN problem, we have a special contribution and a possible solution to solve it. Read our article on common VPN error codes and solutions for Windows 10
I hope that at least one of these tips to repair Windows 10 VPN does not work must have solved your problem.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here