RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Web Companion is a free tool from Lavasoft that supposedly protects Internet users against malicious websites, data tracking, advertising, phishing, etc. Since 2014, it has replaced the Ad-Aware security toolbar and has achieved a fairly good success rate among users. It seems that this perfect product is almost too good to be true, and it certainly is. Sophisticated installation, browser hacking, advertising and data tracking are what customers can expect for the price of the promised “safe navigation”.
What is Web Companion?
Web Companion protects your browser settings against unauthorized changes and acts as a buffer between your browser and malicious websites. For a better, safer and lighter web experience, Ad-Aware Web Companion completes the protection of your antivirus and browser against current and recent malware and attacks by marking malware at the URL level before it is even downloaded to your PC.
To uninstall Ad-Aware Web Companion
To uninstall Ad-Aware Web Companion, follow the steps below.
- Click on the Start button on your computer (on the left of the screen).
- Click on Control Panel on the Start menu.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs / Click Programs, then Programs and Features. Select Web Companion from the list, then click Uninstall.
- The installed programs are generally listed in alphabetical order.
- When the dialog box appears, specify the application’s uninstall settings: Select a language, select or deselect Restore my browser’s home page settings, select or deselect the Restore my browser’s search engine settings check box. When you are finished, click Delete to continue.
- When the message box appears, confirm your decision to uninstall the program by clicking Yes.
- You can see the uninstallation process in progress.
- To complete the uninstallation of Ad-Aware Web Companion, click Close.
How to disable Lavasoft’s Web Companion?
In addition to installing Lavasoft’s Web Companion on your computer without the user’s permission, the Web Companion does not provide a convenient method to uninstall the software. Therefore, in this step, we will permanently remove the software in unconventional steps. For that:
- Navigate to the following address: C:\Program files (x86)
- Click Yes at the command prompt.
- Press “Windows” + “R” and type “regedit”.
- Press Ctrl + F and type Web Companion.
- Check the Key, Values and Data options.
- Click on “OK” and the search begins.
- Delete all search entries by right-clicking and selecting “Delete”.
- Restart the computer and the program has been completely deleted from your computer.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.