Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
WLANExt.exe has 7 known versions, the last one is 6.3.9600.16384 (winblue_rtm.130821-1623). WLANExt.exe is executed as a standard Windows process in the SYSTEM account with many privileges. The average file size is 86.64 KB. During the process life cycle, typical CPU resource usage is about 0.0008%, including foreground and background operation, average private memory consumption of about 4.25 MB and maximum disk space of about 8.6 MB. In addition, the typical read and write speed of I/O disk operations is approximately 5.4 KB per minute for read access and 3 bytes per minute for write access.
What is WLANExt.exe?
WLANExt.exe is the file that runs the framework and does not damage your PC.
Non-system processes such as WLANExt.exe come from software that you have installed on your system. Since most applications store data on your hard drive and in your system registry, it is likely that your computer has been fragmented and has collected invalid entries that can affect your PC’s performance.
Wlanext.exe is an important part of Windows, it is a system process that hosts several Windows services. It is essential for the implementation of shared service processes, where several services can share a process to reduce resource consumption. WLANExt.exe is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
The Wlanext.exe process can be enabled on your computer if you visit malicious websites on the Internet that can easily infiltrate malware on your computer. Sometimes, WLANExt.exeis also secretly distributed through downloads and installations of various free programs that include several additional bundles in installers, also called some additional offers. This means that today’s users must be extremely careful when installing free applications, even if they choose reliable resources on the Web.
Can I delete WLANExt.exe?
Many processes that are not running can be stopped because they are not involved in running your operating system. WLANExt.exe is used by Microsoft® Windows® Operating System. It is an application created by Microsoft Corporation.
If you no longer use the Microsoft® Windows® operating system, you can permanently remove this software, and therefore WLANExt.exe, from your PC. To do this, press Windows + R simultaneously, then enter ‘appwiz.cpl’. Then look for the list of programs installed for the Microsoft® Windows® operating system and uninstall this application.
How to delete WLANExt.exe
- Go to the WiFi adapter and disable yours.
- Open the Task Manager and close WLANExt.exe.
- Go to C:\Windows and delete the folder \wmu3.
- Activate the WLAN again and the problem is solved
Perform Clean Boot
- Start the computer in safe mode with the network connection and check if the problem persists.
- Perform a clean start if the problem does not occur in safe mode.
- Install Windows Defender Online if it still exists.
Run the System File Checker (SFC)
- Press the Windows Start button.
- Type “cmd” in the search field, but DO NOT press “ENTER”.
- Press and hold “CTRL-Shift” on your keyboard while pressing “ENTER”.
- An authorization dialog box appears.
- Click on “YES” in the box.
- You should have a black screen with a blinking cursor.
- Enter “sfc /scannow” in this black screen and press “ENTER”.
- SFC will start looking for problems with wlanext.exe and any other problems with the system file.
- Follow all on-screen commands to complete the process.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.