RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
What does it mean to reboot? Does a reboot mean a restart? What about resetting a computer, router, phone, etc.? It may seem stupid to distinguish them, but among these three terms, there are actually two completely different meanings!
The reason it is important to know the difference between restarting and resetting is that they do two very different things, even if they look like the same word. One is much more destructive and permanent than the other, and there are many scenarios in which you need to know what steps you need to take to accomplish a particular task.
This may all seem enigmatic and confusing, especially if you introduce variants such as soft reset and hard reset, but read on to find out what these terms really mean, so that you know exactly what is expected of you when one of these terms appears in a troubleshooting guide or when a technical support person asks you to do one or the other.
How To Reset Windows 10
Windows 10 has a nice feature that allows you to reset the operating system if you want to reset more than 100% to factory default values, or simply reinstall the operating system while keeping all your files. The function is called Reset this PC and is extremely convenient if you have problems with performance stability or if you want to sell the computer and clean it.
- To get started, go to Settings > Update and Security > Restoration. Then click on the Start button under the Reset this PC section.
- Then you have two choices: Keep your files or delete everything – settings, files, applications.
Note that whatever option you choose, you must always reinstall all your applications and desktop programs and reconfigure your settings. And some computers give you the ability to reset your PC to the factory default values.
- The process starts and takes only a few seconds.
- Then you will have some options. You can easily delete your personal files, which is faster but less secure. Or delete the files and clean the drive – this option is the closest to a reinstallation with an ISO image. Microsoft says it’s a good option if you sell your PC.
- However, for a PC with a hard disk, I would feel more secure if I used a proven secure method…. DBAN to clean the disk before it is recycled. But if you’re just resetting your PC, it’s a good option.
- Microsoft will warn you that you cannot cancel the operation.
- The next screen will show you what the PC reset will do. This is your last chance to back down if you have any doubts.
How To Reboot or Restart Windows 10
There are several ways to restart your windows, as here we will discuss the steps contained in different ways with an image tutorial. Our goal is to provide you with the information you need without obstacles or barriers.
- Shutdown or restart via the Start menu
- Restart or reboot windows from the desktop menu
- Closing or restarting windows with Alt-F4
By using these different options, you can easily restart or restart your Windows 10, maintaining window efficiency requires appropriate functionality, and for this system requires appropriate maintenance. We have given you several ways to access the system and maintain its efficiency by shutting down all applications properly after use. This is a way to keep your windows away from error files and not damage ROM files and software.
A restart of the device only turns it off and on again and does not really reset the software as you really want, which in this case would delete all your custom applications and all remaining personal data.
If you still have trouble remembering the differences, remember: Restart is the repetition of a boot process and Reset is the configuration of a new system.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.