RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Windows users are familiar with bubble notifications seen in Windows 7 and earlier near the notification area or taskbar. These balloon notifications helped inform users of what was happening on their computers. Although this feature is useful, many have preferred to change the display time or disable balloon notifications with the Ultimate Windows Tweaker.
In Windows 8, similar App Toast notifications appear in the upper right corner of your desktop. These notifications are used by Windows 8 applications to communicate with users. You can disable these notifications if you wish. You can change the time notifications are displayed in Windows 8 or turn it off completely.
Enable or disable Windows 8 Apps toast notifications
There are several ways to disable or disable toast notifications. To do this, move the mouse pointer to the lower right corner to display the Charms bar. Click Settings > Change PC Settings. Select Notifications in the left pane.
You can change :
- Metro App Toast notifications on desktop. This acts as a global switch. Disable or enable this feature disables all other notification types.
- App toast notifications on the lock screen . If you turn them off, notifications no longer appear on the lock screen when you start your Windows 8 computer.
- Read notification tones. If you want notifications but don’t want the sound to be played, you can mute the sounds here.
- Notifications of individual applications. Windows 8 also allows you to enable or disable notifications for individual applications.
Disable toast notifications in Windows 8 using group policy
Use the group policy editor to disable the option to edit toast notifications. Open the local group policy editor or gpedit.msc and navigate to User Configuration > Administration Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Notifications.
In the right window, you can now view the options :
- Disable network notifications
- Disable toast notifications on the lock screen
- Disable tile notifications
- Disable toast notifications.
Double-click the one you want to disable, highlight Enabled, click Apply/OK.
You will see that the options are no longer available in the PC settings!
Temporarily hide toast notifications
If you want to temporarily hide these notifications, you can do so from the Charms bar. Move the mouse pointer to the bottom right corner, click Settings > Notifications.
Here you can hide messages for 1, 3 or 8 hours. If you select one, the notifications are only deactivated for this period and the icon changes depending on the status.
Let’s hope it helps!
See also: Disable, enable, and delete live parts notification history in Windows 8.