Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Global Media Controls now displays the “picture-in-picture” icon on Microsoft Edge Canary.
Microsoft Edge already supports a picture-in-picture mode that allows videos to be viewed in a pop-up window. You can now easily create picture-in-picture windows using the Global Media Control interface.
Using the Global Media Control interface, you can easily play, pause, and skip media content. It is similar in some ways to the bar that appears when you press the media buttons on a device.
What is Picture-in-Picture Mode?
Picture-in-Picture mode opens the videos streamed in the web browser in a small overlay window that can be managed separately from the browser window. Most modern web browsers support this mode, including Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera and Firefox.
How to Enable Picture-in-Picture for Global Media Controls in Edge
With the latest update for the Canary Islands, Microsoft Edge now displays a special button in the “Global Media Controls” flyout to open the media stream in PiP mode. By default, the button is hidden, but it can be easily activated.
- Launch Microsoft Edge Canary 82.0.442.0 or later
- Visit the page edge://flags and activate the following two flags and restart the browser.
- Global Media Controls
- Global Media Controls Picture in Picture
- After restarting Edge, visiting YouTube, and watching a video, you will notice the GMC icon in the toolbar that, when clicked, displays the PiP icon and other controls for controlling music, audio, video, and other media in the new Edge browser. Click on the PiP icon to enable Picture-in-Picture mode for this video. You can return to the Source tab by clicking the Back to Tab button in the Picture-in-Picture window.
As I mentioned earlier, you will only see the “Picture-in-Picture” flag from Global Media Controls if you are using the Canary Islands version of Microsoft Edge. At the time of writing this article, the story is not being broadcast live on any other publishing channel, but once it is available, follow these steps to activate it.
Microsoft Edge is not the only browser that receives the PiP button on Global Media Controls. The button has also been integrated into Chrome’s Canary, Dev, and Beta channels. This feature should be added in the next stable version of Chrome.
If you are using Google Chrome (Canary, Dev, or Beta), you can follow the same steps described above to enable PiP on Global Media Controls. However, don’t forget to replace “edge://flags” by “chrome://flags”.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.