Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
If you receive the error message: “The operation could not be completed (error 0x00000015). The device is not ready”, which probably means that you do not have an important service on your computer. The name of this service is Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).
This indicates that something is wrong with the scanner and that it is not working properly. The fact is that this service has some dependencies, so before launching it, you may need to check it and launch other services if necessary.
Here are some of the steps you can take to correct error 0x00000015:
Enable WIA and Shell HW detection on your computer.
You must enable WIA – Windows Image Acquisition. Please follow the steps below:
- Go to your Start menu and enter services.msc and press Enter.
- You will see 2 tabs at the bottom, Extended and Standard, please select Standard.
- Now look for the Shell HW Detect (the list is alphabetical), right-click and select Stop.
- Find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) right-click and select Stop.
- You can now start both services by right-clicking and selecting Start.
Check the functions of your scanner.
- Check whether your printer is correctly connected or not.
- Make sure the printer is able to make copies.
- Check whether the printer is plugged directly into the wall socket or not.
Searching and installing printer drivers
- Open Devices and Printers by clicking on the Start button, then on Devices and Printers in the Start menu.
- Right-click on the printer you want to update, then click Printer Properties.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Click New Driver, then follow the instructions in the Add Printer Driver Wizard.
Use Disk Cleanup
If the problem persists, I suggest you first delete all temporary files with Disk Cleanup, then download and install the printer drivers and software needed for the scan utility.
To delete temporary files:
In the taskbar, search for hard disk cleaning and select it from the results list.
Under Files to be deleted, select the file types to be deleted. To obtain a description of the file type, select it.
Click on OK.
If you need more space, you can also delete system files:
Under Disk Cleanup, select Clean System Files.
Select the file types you want to get rid of. To obtain a description of the file type, select it.
Click on OK.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below in the comments section and we will be happy to answer you as soon as possible.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.