Updated February 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Some Windows users report that their system is unable to install a pending Windows update for Skype (KB2876229). The error code displayed is 666 or 667, and in most cases this problem is reported in Windows 7.
It turns out that this particular problem is caused by some kind of corruption of the system files. In most cases, it occurs after an unexpected shutdown of the computer or after an AV scan has affected the quarantine of some files in the Windows Update component.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling Skype
If you are installing the latest version of Skype, you may see an update error and error code 666 or 667. This is due to problems installing files in the registry on your computer.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Skype completely. If you are still having problems:
- Visit this page to get Microsoft’s auto-correction tool.
- Completely uninstall Skype from your computer.
- Click Run Now to launch the Fix-it tool.
- When the Fix-it tool is finished, reinstall the latest version of Skype.
Launch the System File Checker
- Quickly press F12 when you are on the Dell Home screen and select Recovery Media from the Start Menu.
- Select your language options and then click Next.
- Select the Repair Your Computer option.
- Click Troubleshooting and then click Advanced Options.
- Select Command Prompt from the list.
- Type the following command: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter.
- The System File Checker starts and checks the integrity of the system files.
Using the DISM
FCS can also solve problems, but it may not be able to solve the problem you first tried to solve by running FCS.
In such situations, DISM comes to the rescue. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a command line utility for Windows that is used for a variety of purposes and is available in all versions of Windows starting with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.
You must run DISM from a Elevated Command Prompt:
- Press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- Type cmd.exe and wait for the results to appear.
- Right-click on the result named cmd.exe and select “Run as administrator” to run it with high privileges.
- The DISM can be run in dry mode to detect damage without trying to fix the problems found. I recommend that you first check the status of the device for corruption before performing repair operations.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
The command checks the image for the corruption flag and returns its results to you, but does not perform any repair operations.
The analysis should take no more than a second or two. Previous operations may have indicated that the image was corrupt.
Here we go. Sometimes very delicate problems can have trivial solutions. The problem is that you can easily get lost if you don’t have enough information. Trial and error seems to be a valuable activity, but any changes made without fully understanding the problem only complicates matters. Therefore, you should not make blind adjustments until you know the cause and effect.
We hope this will save you valuable time. Have fun with Skype.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.