Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
The “Your account has been locked” error is displayed when some Xbox One users try to log in to their console with their Microsoft account. The error message is accompanied by error code 0x80a40014. Affected users will not be able to access digital games or retrieve game data stored in the account.
Verify your Microsoft account
To resolve this issue, check your Microsoft account and add security information if necessary.
- Sign in to your account.
- Select Security.
- Choose “Update Info”. You may be prompted to re-enter your password or allow us to send you a security code to ensure that only you make changes to your account.
- After reviewing and updating the security information in your Microsoft account, try signing in to Xbox Live again.
- If you have added a phone number or email that has not been verified, you will see a link to do so now.
- If you don’t have another email address or phone number, you need to add at least one and follow the instructions. We recommend two methods of contact in the event of a change.
Note If you receive a message that your Microsoft account has been suspended, follow the instructions to unblock your account.
Check the status of Xbox Live servers
It turns out that the error “Your account has been locked” (0x80a40014) may also be due to a server problem beyond your control. After investigating the issue, we have determined that this problem has occurred several times in the past.
In each incident, Microsoft ultimately confirmed that the problem was due to a server issue that ultimately resulted in a large number of Microsoft accounts being locked or automatically disabled due to false positives. Fortunately, Microsoft is usually quick to announce problems of this type.
Delete your Profile and Perform a Power Cycle
- Turn on your console and reopen the guide menu by pressing the Xbox button on your controller.
- Then go to Settings > All Settings and press A.
- On the Settings menu, click the Accounts tab and select Delete Accounts.
- Once you have decided to delete your accounts, the next step is to select the profile you want to delete and confirm it when prompted.
- Then close this menu and return to your dashboard.
- Now press and hold the Xbox button on your console until the console is completely shut down and the light stops flashing.
- Finally, turn the console back on to complete the power cycle.
- You should see the Xbox animation when the console turns on.
Use your Xbox One in Offline Mode
- Turn on your console and open the guide menu by pressing the Xbox button on your controller.
- From the Guide menu, go to Settings > System > Settings > Network to open the Network menu.
- Then click the “Network Settings” menu on the left.
- Select Go Offline, then press the A button to activate offline mode.
- When prompted to confirm the action, click Yes.
- Restart your Xbox One console, and the Xbox 0x80a40014 error indicating that your account has been locked will disappear.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.