Updated April 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Steam is a game distribution platform that allows users to buy, download, install and play games. It’s a combined DRM/games library with a dynamic community and many features that you never noticed you wanted until you had them.
However, users of the platform say they get an error when they try to install a game. The error indicates “Invalid Depot Configuration Error”.
Reasons for the Error Invalid Depot Configuration
Although many users report the same error in their flow application, there are several reasons for this error. Authorization problems may occur. The platform link does not have the required permissions. You may also have a problem with the DNS cache of the Steam. You may also have used an outdated version of the Steam client that makes it difficult to install your game. Some of your steam client’s files may be corrupted. All these and other causes can be the potential culprits of the error.
To help you solve your Steam Error Invalid Depot Configuration, here are several methods you can try.
Update the Steam Client
If you receive this error, it is because your Steam client must be upgraded to the latest version.
Click on Steam. Then check if there are any updates from Steam Client.
Consult the help and continue with About Steam. Ensure that the steam packaging version is 1373418487 or higher. Otherwise, install the updates. Make sure that your antivirus is disabled to avoid any problems when installing the update. To solve this problem, you must clear your DNS cache.
Manually Update Steam
- Exit the steam.
- Go to the C:\Program Files\Steam\
- Look for the following files:
- Delete all files except those listed above.
- Restart your computer.
- Run Steam.exe from the Steam Installation folder. Not from an existing shortcut.
- Check if the problem persists.
April 2023 Update:
You can now prevent PC problems by using this tool, such as protecting you against file loss and malware. Additionally it is a great way to optimize your computer for maximum performance. The program fixes common errors that might occur on Windows systems with ease - no need for hours of troubleshooting when you have the perfect solution at your fingertips:
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
Enlisting / Opting out of Beta
- In steam mode, use the ribbon at the top to click Steam > Settings.
- From the Settings menu, select the Account menu from the vertical menu on the right, then go to the right pane, then click the Edit button associated with participating in the beta version.
- On the Beta Participation screen, change the Beta Participation drop-down menu to the currently inactive item. Then click on Ok to save the changes.
- Restart your Steam client when prompted, then repeat the same steps as we previously initiated.
Delete an existing MountedDepots configuration
- Close Steam.
- Open the SteamApps folder or continue with the C:\Program Files\Steam\
- Click on the file appmanifest_[gameid].acf and open it with the text editor.
- Pay attention to the “MountedDepots” configuration. Select the entire section and delete the entire file. Click on Save.
- Restart Steam to add the correct MountedDepots configuration.
Uninstall and Reinstall Steam
- Press Windows + R to open a Run dialog box.
- Type “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter to open the Programs and Features window.
- Right-click Steam and select Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
- Once the process is complete, restart your computer.
- Download the Steam on the official website.
- Click on Install Steam and follow the instructions to install the steam correctly.
- Check if the error is still present.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.