Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Skype is a popular communication tool that allows voice calls and video chats between computers, tablets, smartphones and even gaming devices. The software is currently owned by Microsoft and is included in every Windows 10 installation. While it’s a robust application, in some cases there may be some problems, which we’ll look at today. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series, we’ll fix the Skype “Unable to download directory results” error.
Before performing any of the recommended troubleshooting steps listed below, it is best to first restart your computer. This action will update the operating system and remove any corrupted temporary data that may be causing the problem.
There are several factors that can cause this particular Skype problem, from connectivity issues to corrupted applications. Here are the troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve this problem.
Allow firewall access
The Windows firewall can sometimes prevent certain features of an application from communicating with the server and thus cause problems with the application. At this point, we grant access to applications in the firewall.
- Click the “Start” menu and open the “Preferences” icon.
- Click the Update and Security option.
- Select Windows Security in the left pane.
- In the Windows Security option, select “Firewall and Network Protection”.
- Now click “Allow application through firewall”.
- Click “Change settings” to grant administrator rights.
- Scroll down and make sure that Skype is allowed on both “private” and “public” networks.
- Click OK, launch the application and see if the error persists.
Delete the shared.xml folder
If the shared.xml folder is corrupted, the problem can be resolved. We can delete it to solve the problem. Don’t worry; the file will recreate itself.
- Press Win + R to open the startup window. Also type origin% appdata% \ skype.
- Press Enter to open the folder with the Skype app information.
- Find the shared.xml file in that folder. The file can also easily be saved in the shared folder.
- Reboot your system.
Temporarily turn off the Windows Defender firewall
The Windows Defender firewall can interfere with the legal functions of Skype and other Windows applications. We can temporarily turn off the Windows Defender firewall to isolate the issue.
How to clear the Skype cache folder
- A corrupted cache folder may prevent the Skype directory from loading. We could remove it this way:
- Press Win + R to open the Run window, and type the command% appdata%. Press Enter to open the relocatable AppData folder.
- Reset the Skype folder and delete it.
- Reboot your system and see if this solves your problem.
Reinstall the Skype application
In some cases, your Skype files may be missing or corrupt. If this happens, it may be helpful to reinstall the Skype application.
- Click the Start button, then click the gear icon to open the Settings window.
- Go to Applications> Applications and permissions.
- Find the Skype app. Right-click it and select Uninstall.
- After uninstalling the application, restart your system.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.