Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
If you receive the error 0x800f0988 when updating Windows 10, this message will help you to solve the problem. Here is the exact error message – Updates failed, Error 0x800f0988, There were problems installing some updates, but we will try again later. You can also see the error code 0x80073701 instead of 0x800f0988.
Why did the Windows update get blocked during the download?
There are several reasons why Windows Update has jammed or cannot be installed, such as an Internet connection problem, security software jam, corrupted system files, there is no space on the system drive to download and install Windows updates, and more. And the most common is the corrupted Windows Update component (“Software Distribution Folder”, where Windows temporarily downloads updates before they are installed). If, for any reason, the Windows Update database is corrupted, download an incorrect update file. The Windows update may crash during download and installation, or the update installation may fail due to another error.
Manual reset of the Windows update service
Open the administrative command prompt and type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
network stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
Starting the cryptSvc network
network start bits
net start msiserver
Close the command prompt and check if Windows Updates is working.
Run Windows Update troubleshooting
Windows 10 1909 causes the update error Windows 0x800f0988, 0x800f081f, 0xc1900223, 0x80070002, and some others that so many users report. The latest version may not be installed due to stop codes. Windows Update Troubleshooting is the most convenient tool to correct these errors that occur when you receive the November 2019 update. Here is how you can use the tool.
- Press Win+I, then select Update and Security from the Windows main configuration interface.
- On the next page, in the left pane, click Troubleshooting.
- Navigate to the right and search for Windows Update in the list.
- Click on the same one, then select Run troubleshooting in the extended tray.
- Wait for the tool to scan and display the suggestions. Select Apply this correction if prompted by the convenience store.
Disable antivirus and startup window in Clean Boot state
Disable the security software or virus protection (if installed), check for updates, install available updates, and then enable your virus protection.
Starting your computer properly can also help. When third-party software that causes conflicts download and install Windows updates. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the search box > Type MSConfig.
- Select System configuration > go to the Services tab.
- Select Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all.
- Go to the Start tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all unnecessary services running there. Restart your computer and check for updates.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.