Last Updated on November 8, 2019
Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Activation errors in Windows 10 are very irritating and users have found reports of various activation errors in forum discussions over and over again. The Windows 0x80041023 activation error code occurs when you update Windows 10 or reinstall it on your computer. You may be providing an invalid foundation or upgrade from Windows Home to Windows Pro.
Causes of the error code 0x80041023
You have an invalid Windows key. If you reinstall Windows 10 and the automatic activation fails, it is possible that the key previously used was invalid or unique. These keys can only be used once and no longer work when the machine is formatted.
Due to the key stored in the BIOS: This is another possible cause because your system BIOS has the key to the Windows home. And the Windows operating system tries to use the key stored in the BIOS.
OEM license cannot be activated: Check if you have an OEM license, in this case you cannot use the activation key if you are upgrading from a previous version.
How to fix the Windows 10 activation error 0x80041023 :
Modify the Product Key
- Press the Windows + X button
- Click on the command prompt
- Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
- Press Enter
- Copy the product key and enter it.
- Click Start > Settings > Update and Security > Activation > Change Product Key, then enter the new product key, then click Next to activate it.
Use of SLMGR for Activation
- Press Windows + R to open a Run dialog box. Then type “cmd” and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open a Run dialog box. When prompted in the User Account Control (UAC) window, click Yes to assign administrator privileges.
- Once you are at the command prompt, type the following commands (press Enter after each command) to change the license key you are using to the correct one:
- Once the active license key has been successfully modified, restart your computer. The new key should become active the next time it is started.
Run the System File Checker (SFC)
- Click Start and start typing “cmd” on your keyboard.
- In Your search results should be displayed with a black icon.
- Right-click and select Run as administrator.
- When prompted to enter the administrator password, enter the password and click OK.
- A new completely black window will open. You can enter commands directly in this window.
- Type sfc/scannow and press Enter.
- This process will take a long time. You can reduce and modify these black windows.
Upgrading OEM Licenses
OEM licenses are not updated licenses and only apply to a few computers. So if you install Windows 10 Pro on a system with Windows Home, it would not work. And you receive the error message Windows Activation Error Code 0x80041023.
So, to fix the error, first install Windows 10 Home, then upgrade to Windows Pro from the Windows store. If you purchased the Windows Pro key from the OEM and not the store, you must install Windows 10 Pro freshly and then use the activation key.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.