Updated December 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Here are some steps you can take to recover lost disk space in Windows.
Free & increase disk space
1. Start the Disk Cleanup Utility. Enter Disk Cleanup in the Start menu or start screen and press Enter to access it. Execute him. You can also consider the greater number of options it offers. You can also enable the advanced version of the Disk Cleanup tool or even delete temporary 7-day files.
2 Uninstall programs that you are not using from the Control Panel. Windows 8 users may also want to uninstall Windows Store applications that they do not use. On Windows 8.1, open Charms > PC Settings > PC > PC and Devices? Storage space. This gives you an idea of the storage space each application occupies.
3. Download and install a good free cleaner like CCleaner or use our Quick Clean portable. These are good secure utilities that help you delete your unnecessary files in a few clicks.
4 Disable Hibernation and remove the if the space problem on your system disk is critical. This is a hidden file at the root of your system drive. Open the Control Panel. Enter Hibernate in the search bar. Select Enable Hibernate On / Off.
5 If you have files or images formats. Also consider moving it to another drive or saving it outside.
6 If you have recently installed a service pack and it is a file, you can recover disk space by deleting the unwanted backup files . Windows 7 users may want to see this. Windows Vista users can view this message.
7 You can compress some files. One option that is not considered by many is Windows’ ability to compress files and folders. Most people believe that after compression, access to files and data is slow and that it takes time to open such compressed files. I invite you to try. You will notice that the time difference is not noticeable. But you can regain a lot of storage space. Note however that you should not use this method to compress the Windows folder or program folder.
I do not recommend the following to save storage space:
1 I am not suggesting deleting the preferred files. Each time you clean the Prefetch folder, you delay the application loading times the next time you start it. Only after the second time do you reach optimal application loading times again. Only a pre-folder search file with 128 entries, up to the 32 most used applications can therefore be interpreted as a self-inflicted temporary de-optimization measure!/span>
2 Log files may be required during uninstallation, and if they are not found, uninstallation of the application may fail. Do not delete them.
3 You never know when you will need files. A good reason not to delete them.
4 files will help you load thumbnails faster and recreate them in all cases, unless you disable thumbnail caching. Instead, disable thumbnail caching instead of deleting them from time to time.
5. also do not consider deleting anything from the WinSXS folder or the Windows Installer folder. There are system folders that play an important role.
6. Do not disable System Restore to save storage space. You never know when it might save your skin!
7 See this message if you feel the need to free up space by deleting previous system images and backups.
If you want to know what used your disk space, you can use a freeware like Disk Space Fan. You can know which file or folder takes which place.
Disc Impression Tool
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here