Updated March 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Is your SmartScreen filter disabled? Or do you receive a message that SmartScreen Filter cannot check this site? If so, this article shows you how to enable or disable SmartScreen Filter in Internet Explorer on Windows 10/8/7 using the group or registry policy editor.
For those who don’t know what SmartScreen is, it is an Internet Explorer feature that can help detect phishing sites and protect them from installing malware or malware. Thus, if you encounter a suspicious site, the browser window will display a warning to inform the user of the type of site and whether the user trusts the website or publisher to go to the specified URL.
Read : SmartScreen filter alert explanation.
Enable or disable SmartScreen filter
Enable or disable SmartScreen filter from user interface
March 2023 Update:
You can now prevent PC problems by using this tool, such as protecting you against file loss and malware. Additionally it is a great way to optimize your computer for maximum performance. The program fixes common errors that might occur on Windows systems with ease - no need for hours of troubleshooting when you have the perfect solution at your fingertips:
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Go to Tools > Internet Options
- Go to Advanced tab and scroll down to Security category. If you want to enable/disable the function, you can select the Enable SmartScreen Filter check box and press OK.
- After enabling the function, a message as shown below appears whenever you encounter a suspicious URL.
If you don’t want to use this feature, you can simply uncheck the box, but it is highly recommended as phishing attacks increase day by day and increase the potential threat of confidential information from email accounts.
If you are using Microsoft Edge, open the advanced settings and make sure Windows Defender SmartScreen is enabled.
You can also quickly bypass the SmartScreen filter and upload files to IE or Edge without disabling the SmartScreen filter.
SmartScreen filter is disabled
When your SmartScreen is disabled or you receive the message, follow these steps.
Enable or enable the SmartScreen filter using Group Policy
Run gpedit.msc to open the Group Policy Editor and navigate to the next parameter :
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer
In the right pane, double-click Configure Windows SmartScreen to change its settings.
This policy setting allows you to manage the behavior of Windows SmartScreen. Windows SmartScreen helps make PCs more secure by alerting users before undetected programs are downloaded from the Internet. Some information about files and programs running on PCs with this feature is sent to Microsoft. If you enable this policy setting, you can control the behavior of Windows SmartScreen by one of the following options : If you need permission from an administrator before running downloaded, unknown software, alert the user before running downloaded, unknown software or disable SmartScreen. If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Windows SmartScreen behavior is managed by administrators on the PC via the Windows SmartScreen settings in Action Center.
Enable SmartScreen filter with registry editor
Run regedit to open registry editor and navigate to next key :
The value DWORD EnableSmartScreen is located in the right pane. Delete this D-WORD.
The values of this key are as follows :
- (0) : To disable SmartScreen
- 1 : Warn users before running the downloaded software, software unknown
- 2 : Administrator approval is required before running the downloaded software, software unknown.
You can also read these messages :
- Windows SmartScreen Filter, Download Reputation, Enable or disable XSS security features
- SmartScreen Filter in Internet Explorer
- SmartScreen Filter cannot scan this site
- SmartScreen Filter cannot scan this site
- Prevent you from bypassing SmartScreen filter warnings.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here