Updated December 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
The HomeGroup feature is a simplified Microsoft solution that allows file sharing between all computers on your home network. With HomeGroup, you can share photos, music and video files, various Office documents and even printers. You can also allow other family members to edit the files you have shared. In this article, we will learn how to find your home group password under Windows 10.
Viewing and resetting your home group password under Windows 10
Create a home group
To create a home group on a Windows 10 computer, do the following:
- Click on Start, type the home group in the search box, then select Home group.
- Select Create Home Group.
- Click on Next
- Select the libraries and devices you want to share with your home group, then click Next.
- A password appears – write it down in a text file and save it in a safe place. You will need your home group password to add other PCs to your home group. Choose Finish.
To change the password of your home group
- Windows + S key (opens the search)
- Enter the home group and click Home Group Settings.
- In the list, click Change Home Group Password.
- Click Change Password, then follow the instructions to change your current password.
To view your password
In the extended window, note the second half and click on the link described as View or print the home group password.
The password will be clearly visible in a box above the yellow background, which you can write down for future use. You can also use the Print this page button to obtain a hard copy of the password.
Using the file explorer
Perhaps the fastest way to get your current home group password is to use the special button for your home group password in the left menu of the file explorer.
Here is a quick guide to get there:
- Open the File Explorer.
- Go to the right pane, right-click on your home group, then click Show Home Group Password.
- You will be directed directly to a screen where you can display your home group password in a yellow box.
If you do not have access to other computers connected to the home group, you cannot change the password of the home group.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post! If you need further help on this subject, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.