Last Updated on October 24, 2019
Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Some users report that although they may have initially run the system restore utility and selected the appropriate system restore point, the boot error procedure with error code 0xc0000020 does not work the next time the computer is started.
Bad Image Error Status 0xc0000020
Install all current updates.
It turns out that the special reason for the error code 0xc0000020 is the error that still exists in Windows 10 versions that did not apply the Automn version update. Several interested users who have experienced similar behavior have reported that they have finally managed to solve the problem by installing each pending update on their version of Windows 10.
This is expected to be effective because Microsoft has already released a bug fix that could be responsible for the bug 0xc0000020.
Below is a quick guide to installing all pending updates on your Windows 10 computer:
- Click Windows + R to open the Run dialog box. Then type ‘ms-settings:windowsupdate’ and press
- Enter to open the Windows Update tab in the application settings.
- Going to the Windows Update screen, go to the right side pane and click Check for Updates.
- Then follow the on-screen instructions to install the current updates until you update your version of
- Windows 10.
- After each update, restart your computer and check to see if the problem is resolved the next time you start your computer.
Uninstall Culprit App
Even if you notice that a bad image error has run a third-party program or special security software, try uninstalling it and checking for errors.
To uninstall the most recently installed application
- Press Win + R, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- Then double-click on the program responsible for the error status of 0xc0000020 and select the
- Remove option.
- You can go to the appropriate website for a new download if you need it, and install it on your computer.
Run the SFC (Run System File Checker) tool
1. Click the Windows + X button, and then click the command line (Admin).
2. enter the following information in the command field and press Enter:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
Run System File Checker, and then restart your computer.
Starting the Microsoft Safety Scanner
It’s like a virus infection, I suggest you run a Microsoft security scanner and make sure it helps you. Be sure to disable all antivirus software and security features when you run the Microsoft Security Analyzer.
Remove the broken update.
Some Windows experts also report a 0xc0000020 status error on Windows 10, which can often be caused by an update to KB2879017. If it is installed and the error status 0xc0000020 is running, it is recommended to remove the update by following the steps below.
- Open the control panel
- Access to programs and functions,
- In the left pane, click Show installed updates.
- On the right side, find the version of Windows Update that causes the error, and then click the
- Uninstall button.
- Reboot the computer to make the changes. After this inspection, the error is corrected.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.