Last Updated on July 8, 2019
Updated September 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Have you ever looked at the folder where your Excel workbook is stored when you click on “Save” in Excel?
During the registration process, Excel creates a temporary file with any 8-digit name and without the extension ‘.xls’ or ‘.tmp’. Once the writing operation is complete in this temporary file, the original file is deleted and this temporary file is renamed to the name of the original file.
Sometimes this process goes wrong. In particular, the Excel application window no longer responds to user entries, but the screen is still redrawn and a “Save[file name]:” progress bar is visible in the application window.
Use the registry editor
- Click on Start, type regedit in the Start search box, then press ENTER.
- If you are prompted to enter an administrator password or confirmation, enter the password or click Continue.
- Locate the following registry subkey, then right-click on it: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC
- Point to New, then click on Key.
- Type the parameters in the field.
- Right-click on Settings, point to New, then click on DWORD Value (32 bits).
- Type FormatDatabase, then press ENTER. Right-click FormatDatabase, then click Edit.
- Enter 1 in the data field, then click OK.
- Exit the registry editor and restart the computer. %uFEFF
Save your data in a new Excel document.
To save the changes you have made to your document, copy the spreadsheets you have changed into a new Excel document and save them.
Save the file under a different name.
If you have already saved a file in your folder that has a name similar to the one you give to your current file, the “Do not save file” problem may appear. To solve this problem, go to the File option, click Save As and rename your file. Check if the problem is solved. If the problem is not solved, proceed to the next correction.
Deleting Excel add-ons
- Sometimes corrupted Excel add-ins can cause errors when you try to save your file. This allows you to disable these add-ins on your system:
- Open the Microsoft Excel options and click on the file.
- Open Administration Tools, click Add-ins, and then click Go.
- Disable the add-ins and check that the problem is solved.
Verification of authorizations
If you save the Excel file in a location where your current user does not have permissions, you also receive the error message. Each driver or folder has its own permissions, which are usually granted to administrators (the same as the property). However, some system folders may be limited to a single user or the main administrator (the same applies to custom folders whose permissions have been deliberately modified). In this solution, we navigate to the directories and change the permissions.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.