Updated November 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Rocket League error code 71 is a player selection error caused by server problems, network problems or trying to play with an outdated version of the game. Error code 71 means the connection delay occurred because your game took too long to connect to the server.
These are the most common causes of Rocket League error code 71.
- Server crashed
- The player has an outdated version of Rocket League
- A network problem limiting the connection to the game splitter
These are three simple problems with several possible solutions. It is always recommended to restart the game if you find any error codes, as restarting the game or console is a frequent solution to most problems. If you have already done this, but it still doesn’t work, here are methods you can use to solve the problem.
Confirm if there is a problem with the servers
If the problem is widespread on game servers, there’s not much you can do to get started.
It’s best to check the server status on your Xbox One or PlayStation 4 first.
If you’re playing on your PC, check the game’s official Twitter account for updates.
If it’s not a server issue, read below for how to fix the problem.
Add Rocket League to your firewall exception list
Each firewall may look and work differently, but it’s generally a similar process.
You’ll need to follow these steps to add them to your firewall exclusions list:
- Open the firewall and go to Allowed Applications.
- Click the Browse button.
- Look in the Rocket League Exe or Steam Exe folders
- Click the confirm button (this field can be “Open” or “OK”).
- Click the “Network Types” button (the name may vary depending on your firewall).
- On this screen, select two network types, then click OK.
- Click Add, then OK.
Remember, it’s a good idea to double check how this is done online for your particular firewall to make sure you’ve done it correctly. Each one works differently and may provide fields and parameters with different names.
If you need to disable the firewall, you can also find this option by opening the firewall. Where to find this option depends on the software, but it is usually obvious. Here we have an example of the Windows Defender firewall that comes with Windows 10.
Reset or restart the router
As for error 71, Psyonix confirmed that it’s most likely a network integrity issue, if not a problem with the servers. The best way to solve this problem is to perform a simple reset, which will update the IP and DNS used by your system. Here’s what you need to do:
- Turn off your router with the on/off button and unplug the cord.
- Wait at least 30 seconds for the capacitors to discharge. Then restore power to the network device.
- Run Rocket League and see if the problem is resolved.
If you’re still encountering error 71, it’s time to perform a proper reset. Here’s what you need to do:
- Use a sharp object to hold down the appropriate button on the back panel until all the lights flash simultaneously.
- Release the button and wait for the connection to be restored. This method also deletes all previously added settings related to the router. So keep that in mind.
- Check to see if the error has disappeared.
If the error does not disappear, read below for other possible fixes.
Rocket League error code 71 is a problem caused by server issues, network problems or an outdated version of the game. These three simple causes also have simple solutions to fix any potential problems. So you don’t have to worry about error code 71, because it simply means that you won’t be able to connect to the servers.
If you follow each of the methods, your game will be up and running in no time. These solutions should solve the problem pretty quickly.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.