Last Updated on October 30, 2020
Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
You can use skse64 or Skyrim Script Extender 64 for Skyrim Special Edition to apply Skyrim mods. This is a useful tool, but sometimes you get an error message via SkyUI “skse64 not working” when loading the game. This error is more common in newer versions of Skyrim SKSE64. The game cannot be loaded with executable mods until the user fixes the problem. Because of this bug you may not receive other notifications like SKSE64 update.
Before performing the recommended troubleshooting actions for this particular problem, the first thing you should do is try to reboot your computer. This will update the operating system, remove corrupted temporary data and fix most software problems very effectively.
There are several factors that can cause this particular problem, from antivirus intervention to a faulty mod. Here are the recommended troubleshooting steps you should take to solve this problem.
What are the reasons for the skse64 launch error?
Several factors can play a role in the rest of Skyrim, it is up to the user. However we are trying to find some common causes of the skse64 error:
- Windows Firewall: The Windows Firewall Protector blocks the launch permissions for skse64. In most cases skse64 is launched successfully after adding the firewall to the white list.
- Third-party applications: we use many third-party antivirus programs for security reasons. However, these applications cause conflicts with other mods or cracked applications. If you have a third party antivirus software, it can block the Skyrim Script Extender process by identifying it as malware.
- Update Skyrim: the game modifies an older version of Skyrim. However, when we update our current game Skyrim, the old Skse no longer works with the new Skyrim model.
- Faulty version of mod: you may be trying to use a buggy mod in the game. Try downloading mods from proven sources. Also try to use the latest versions of mods. The developers release them after fixing the bugs.
Allow SKESE64 through the Windows Firewall
You must allow access to your SKESE6 to pass through your PC firewall. A firewall can interfere with SKESE 64 if it does not recognize it or detects that it is not a program or system file.
- Find the firewall in the search box and press Enter to switch to the Windows Firewall Protector.
- Find the Windows Firewall Protector in the left pane and click Allow application or function through the Windows Firewall Protector.
- Then click “Change settings”.
- Learn about Skyrim and all related applications, and then authorize them in both public and private networks.
- Click OK.
You can now check if SKSE64 works with a Skyrim game, such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, with access through a firewall.
Authorize Skyrim on your antivirus software.
- Go to Start and click the Options icon on the left menu bar.
- In the Settings window, find and select “Updates and Security”.
- Now check the left area in the new window.
- Find Windows Security and click on it.
- On the right pane of the window, under Options, find and select Protection against viruses and threats.
- In the new window that opens, click Manage settings highlighted in blue in the right pane of the window in the section Protection settings against viruses and threats.
- Scroll down to find an option – add or remove an exception and click on it. The option is displayed in blue under the “Exceptions” heading.
- Now use the mouse pointer to select the “Add Exception” button and select the “Folder” option from the drop-down menu.
- Now add a Skyrim folder.
- Save the changes, then close all the windows.
- Go back to the main screen and try to start the game.
- Check if the problem with SKSE64 is still there.
Disable the faulty mods
The last step in troubleshooting is to deactivate all bad mods that can cause a problem.
- Run The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition and select “Mods” from the main menu.
- Find in your library of mods that you want to delete.
- Select the mod you want to delete and select “Delete” or “Deactivate”.
Make sure that the problem with Skyrim Script Extender 64 is still not working.
Are you having problems with your computer? Contact us using this form. We will try to help you.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.