Updated December 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Telnet is one of the most popular commands to check network connectivity, and for some reason, it is not installed by default in the higher version of the Windows operating system. This causes an error to occur when you run Telnet at the command prompt.
‘‘Telnet’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file‘
Enabling the Windows Telnet function
For the system administrators among us. Telnet is a Windows feature that you can install in the Control Panel under Enable or disable Windows features.
- Click Start and search for the Control Panel.
- Or press CTRL + R and enter Control at the same time.
- Open the control panel.
- Go to the search bar in the upper right corner.
- You can also press CTRL + F to type directly into the search bar.
- Search for Windows functions and open Enable or disable Windows functions.
- Search for the Telnet client or start typing Telnet. Check the box next to the Telnet client and click OK.
- The Telnet client is now installed as a Windows feature. Wait until this process is completed.
Installing Telnet from the Windows command prompt
You can also install Telnet with a single command at the command prompt. Many users were unable to install Telnet using the control panel method, which worked for them.
- Hold down the Windows key and press S to open the search function, then type “cmd” to search.
- Right-click on the command prompt and select Run as administrator (or you can simply press Shift+Ctrl+Enter together while the command prompt is highlighted).
- Type the following command and type Enter:
dism /online /Enable feature /FeatureName:TelnetClient
- The activation of the function takes a few minutes and a message is displayed when the operation is completed.
Installing Telnet on the server
When you run Server Edition, you can perform the installation by following these steps.
- Go to the Startup and Startup screens of the Server Manager.
- A server manager dashboard opens, in which you click on the
- The “Add Roles and Functions Wizard” prompt appears.
- Leave the default settings and click Next before starting, Installation type, Server selection, Server roles…..
- Select “Telnet Client” and Next when selecting functions.
- In the Confirmation window, click Install to start the installation.
If the problem persists after trying all the steps.
I understand that some files cannot be repaired when SFC /scannow is running, I suggest using the following method to solve the problem:
At a high command prompt, copy the following command, then paste it (or type it), then press ENTER :
takeown /f c:\windowssystem32\telnet.exe
Copy and paste (or type) the following command, then press ENTER to give administrators full access to the file:
icacls c:\windows\windows\system32\telnet.exe /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
Copy and paste (or type the following command to replace the file with a good known copy of the file):
Copy c:\windows\system32\telnet.exe _Of_Source_File c:\windows\system32\telnet.exe _Of_Destination
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.