Last Updated on November 2, 2020
Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Microsoft Word has a button to enable and disable paragraph characters, which looks like this: “. This button is called the formatting mark button. In some situations it may be useful to enable paragraph characters (for example, if you need to remove a page break but cannot see exactly where the marker is). If you want to know how to deactivate paragraph characters, use one of the methods described in the following steps.
How to Remove Hard Returns
Although it can be quite a long process, we could manually edit the text to remove unnecessary line breaks, add a space or punctuation mark if necessary, and thus clear the document further. However, there is a much simpler approach to removing hard line breaks. That is, with the “Find and replace” commands. The basic procedure for removing line breaks or paragraphs is described below:
- Save the original document under a new name.
- Execute the Replace command.
- If necessary, replace a few hard line breaks that you want to save with a filler.
- Search for and replace the remaining line breaks with the More > Special command in the Search and Replace dialog box. Select the “Paragraph” checkbox in the options in the Special theme. Depending on the document, replace the paragraph markings with a space or nothing.
- If you have created wildcards for the paragraph markers you want to save, undo the steps you used in step 3 to return the paragraph markers you want to save to the document.
- Review and modify the document as needed to complete the file cleanup.
Use the “Hide/show paragraph” toolbar button.
- Go to the main toolbar and use the “Main” button.
- See the Show/Hide formatting labels button.
- The Show/Hide Formatting Tags button is similar to the paragraph symbol (¶).
- Click the Formatting labels button to remove characters from paragraphs.
Remove the paragraph tag in Word by selecting Options.
- Click File and select Options.
- Click View. Beneath the advertisement, look for the section Always display these formatting marks on the marked screen.
- You will notice a check box with paragraphs.
- Uncheck the “Paragraph Symbols” checkbox.
- You can also use this method to disable all other formatting labels such as hidden text, object anchors, and spaces.
- Click the OK button at the bottom.
- The “paragraph” sign will appear on each subsequent document.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.