Last Updated on October 22, 2019
Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Updating your Synology NAS operating system is only half the experience of a smooth home server: the other half also allows you to update all your application packages. Let’s see how to manually update your packages and automate the process.
In some situations, it may be necessary to install updates manually, although Synology Na support is in the form of automatic download and installation of updates for the operating system and third-party and non-third party packages. Remember that the operating system files have the extension.PAT and that all packages have the extension.SPK.
What is Synology?
Synology Company was founded in 2000 and specializes in Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices. A NAS is a computer that is optimized for data storage and can provide additional functionality.
Synology has a very user-friendly Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. In addition, there are many additional modules to add Synology NAS features, such as file sharing in the cloud, configuring a VPN environment, sharing photos in an online album, or even an antivirus to protect the system. Everything can be found and done in a few clicks in the Package Center. The result is a multifunctional device that does the work of a central computer.
What is a PAT file?
This is a system file extension used by DiskStation Manager (DSM), the operating system for Synology NAS devices; it contains the files needed to install or update the software of the low-level operating system on which the device is running; it can be used from the DSM control panel by selecting Update & Restore and then the DSM Update option.
What is a .SPK file?
This is a file extension for the installation package used by DiskStation Manager (DSM), an operating system developed by Synology for use with its NAS devices; it may contain programs or other software components that extend the basic DSM software; it may be installed with the DSM manager package available with DSM 722 firmware and later.
Automatic update via Synology Package Center
- Make sure that no repository maintenance tasks are performed in the product.
- From the Synology NAS management interface, open the Packet Center.
- Go to the Installed section.
- If a new version of NAKIVO Backup & Replication is available, you will see a butto update.
- Click on Update.
- Wait until the update is complete.
- Repeat these steps on any Synology NAS on which you have additionally installed a Transporter.
Setting packages to Automatic update (selective)
- Although you can check the “Automatic update” box in the detailed view, as we saw in the previous section, there is a much faster way to enable automatic mass (and selective) updates.
- Either from the detailed view in which we were located or from the main package list, click on the grey “Settings” button at the top of the window.In the Automatic Updates menu, you can activate “Update packages automatically” as described below and then set it to “All packages” or “Packages below only”.
- If you choose selective automatic update, simply disable all the packages you want to update automatically. When you are finished, click on “OK” to save your changes. Your Synology NAS will automatically update your application packages as new updates are introduced, no user input is required.
Perform a manual update of the DSM
You can download the.pat update file from the Synology Download Center and perform a manual DSM update.
To perform a manual update of the DSM:
- Visit the download center to download new DSM updates to your local computer. The.pat file does not need to be extracted.
- Click on DSM Manual Update to access the DSM Manual Update page.
- Click Browse to select the update file.
- Click Apply to start updating your DSM. The system restarts automatically when the update is complete.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.