Last Updated on September 16, 2021
Updated September 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
If you get the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET message when you browse some websites in Chrome, it means that the browser is unable to establish a stable connection or at all to the website you want to open. While some websites open without any problems, others give this error. In this article, you will learn how to fix error 101, ERR CONNECTION RESET, Connection Reset Error in the Google Chrome browser on Windows 11/10/8/7.
Connection reset means that the data received from your partner computer, in this case, you, cannot be processed. If you see this error message, you will also see the message below:
This site is unavailable, The connection to example.com has been dropped, Error 101 (net: : ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection has been dropped.
What causes ERR_CONNECTION_RESET?
This error can be caused either by unwanted changes in your computer’s registry or by changes in your network settings. In addition, you can never be sure because recently installed software can also cause this problem. PC optimization programs, antivirus programs, or firewalls can also cause this. Since you can never be sure, it’s important to try each of these methods until you find a solution that fixes the Chrome connection reset error.
How do I fix ERR_CONNECTION_RESET?
Clear your browser cache
- Open Google Chrome and press Ctrl + H to open your history.
- Then click Clear Browser Data in the left pane.
- Make sure that “Start Time” is selected under Delete Next From.
- Now click Clear Browser Data and wait for the process to complete.
- Close the browser and restart your computer.
Disable the proxy server
- Press Windows + R, type “inetcpl.cpl” and press Enter to open Internet Properties.
- Then go to the Connections tab and select LAN Settings.
- Uncheck Use a proxy server for your local network and make sure the Automatically Detect Settings checkbox is checked.
- Click Ok, then Apply and restart your computer.
Temporarily disabling the antivirus program
- Right-click the Anti-Virus icon on the taskbar and select Disable.
- Then select the period of time during which the antivirus program should remain disabled.
- Select the shortest possible period, e.g. 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
- After deactivation, restart the browser and test it. If the problem is resolved after deactivating the antivirus program, uninstall the antivirus program and reinstall it.
Using the Netsh Winsock Reset command
- Right-click on the Windows key and select “Command Prompt (administrator)”.
- Open the command line (Admin) again and enter the following commands, pressing Enter after each command:
netsh int ip reset
reset netsh winsock
- Reboot to apply the changes.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
Frequently Asked Questions
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET is an error that usually occurs when the site you want to visit cannot connect to the target site. Your other sites may work, but some sites may not. This "ERROR_CONNECTION_RESET" problem in the Chrome browser may have several causes.
- Check the website and browser/system.
- Check the proxy server settings.
- Clear the browser cache.
- Delete the Winsock directory entries.
- Restart the router.
- Temporarily disable your firewall and anti-virus software.
- Contact your Internet Service Provider.
The most likely cause of err_connection_reset is connection fluctuations due to changes in network or IP settings. If you are using a VPN, make sure it has a stable connection and is not blocking the Internet. Most popular VPN applications have an option to block the network.
- Disable your antivirus program and firewall.
- Set the maximum transmission unit.
- Disable the AppEx Network Accelerator feature.
- Use the netsh command.
- Disable the proxy server.
- Clear the browser cache.
- Disable the DNS prefetching option.
- Reboot the router and your computer.