Updated March 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Google Chrome was updated to version 78 a few days ago, and some users experienced crashes instead of the promised features.
This crash occurs when the web browser boots on systems with an outdated version of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP).
If you see this behavior on a workstation or during a connection provided from your workstation, it may be due to a known incompatibility between Chrome and older versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection. You can contact your IT department for additional assistance and share the information below:
You must upgrade Symantec Endpoint Protection to version 14.2 or later. You can also disable the additional protection that causes this incompatibility by using Chrome’s RendererCodeIntegrityEnabled policy.
If you observe this behavior on a home computer, additional information will help our team investigate further. If you are able to do so, please respond to this thread and provide the name and version number of the anti-virus software you are using on your computer. Please note that the responses are public, so please do not provide any personal information.
Workaround from Symantec
For all other cases, a workaround is to add an application control exception for Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge Chromium executables (Chrome.exe and MSEdge.exe).
An alternative is to run Chrome with code integrity disabled, which can be done in two ways:
or by setting a registry key to 0:
Type: DWORD (32-b
Symantec Endpoint Protection Update
Upgrade to Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.2 RU2 MP1 to resolve incompatibility with Chrome on Windows 10, version 1703 or later, and Windows Server 2019 creator update.
For the following operating systems, Symantec Endpoint Protection requires an update to provide code integrity support for application control :
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update, version 1607
- Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSC
- Windows 2016 Server
- This update is intended to be included in a future version of the product. This document will be updated as soon as support is available.
March 2023 Update:
You can now prevent PC problems by using this tool, such as protecting you against file loss and malware. Additionally it is a great way to optimize your computer for maximum performance. The program fixes common errors that might occur on Windows systems with ease - no need for hours of troubleshooting when you have the perfect solution at your fingertips:
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
If the PES cannot be upgraded or if the operating system is one of those listed above, the incompatibility can be circumvented by adding an application control exception for Chrome (Chrome.exe) and/or Microsoft Edge Chromium (MSEdge.exe).
Disabling the Chrome Renderer Code
- Right-click the Google Chrome desktop shortcut and select Properties.
- Select the Shortcut tab.
- Then, type the following line in the Target text box, as shown directly below :
- Select the Apply option.
- Click the OK button.
Edit the Registry
- Press the Windows key + the shortcut key R, which opens Run.
- Type “regedit” in the “Open” field and press the Enter key to open the Registry Editor.
- Access this registry key: HKLM > Software > Policies > Google Chrome.
- Double-click the RENDERCodeIntegrity WORD on the right side of the window.
- Change its value to 0 in the “Edit Dword” window.
- Click the OK option.
Users of Microsoft Edge Chromium are also affected, but the chromium-based Edge version has not been officially released, so there are virtually no users in the real world who are affected by this issue.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.