Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
When trying to connect to the Windows VPN client, the client is suspended for about 10 seconds from the message “User name and password verification…”, then the user receives the following error message:
Error 619: A connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection was closed.
This is an error of the pptp client which essentially means that it could not connect to the server. There are several possible reasons for this. For a pptp connection to work, the tcp port 1723 must be open (check if port 1723 is open) and the network elements between the client (you) and the encryption server must support the GRE protocol. We also found two cases where, even if the above applies, you will suffer a 619 error, fortunately they are easy to correct.
How to fix a VPN 619 error
Check your antivirus or firewall program
An antivirus or firewall blocks access to VPN ports. The antivirus and firewall program installed on your computer can block access to the ports of the virtual private network. Try disconnecting these two programs to resolve error 619.
- Right-click on your antivirus program, select Disable protection or a similar option.
- Click Start, select Control Panel | System and Security | Windows Firewall.
- On the left, click Enable or disable the Windows firewall.
- Select Disable Windows Firewall in both categories.
- Click OK | Close.
If you have proxies installed on your computer, it is best to delete or disable them while using the VPN. Proxies can sometimes interfere with the VPN connection process. Learn how to disable proxies:
- Press Windows + I to open the settings.
- Go to the Network and Internet window.
- Go to the proxy area and make sure that the’Automatically detect settings’ option is set to ON.
- Then scroll down and disable the’Use proxy server’ option.
Uninstall the other VPN.
If two or more VPN clients are installed on the computer, make sure only one is running. Check that Windows applications and services are working. Restart the computer if necessary to ensure that all other applications are shut down.
If your VPN does not work again, proceed as follows:
- Remove your VPN client software and update it with the latest VPN client software.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Windows Update installed.
- After resetting the VPN connection and updating the windows, restart your PC and try to run the VPN connection.
- If this still does not work, restart your ADSL/NAT/WIRELESS router. Make sure the latest firmware is installed. Try to connect.
If this still doesn’t work, make sure you have enabled the VPN passthrough option in your ADSL/WIRELESS/NAT router configuration.
The VPN 619 error is one of the most common VPN errors and is very frustrating. If the above steps do not work for you, contact your VPN provider. You can also discuss error 619 with me using the commentary. If you have any further questions, please comment below.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.