Updated December 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
Avast Antivirus is a very popular package among users. However, like all computer programs, it is not immune to problems. This time we will talk about error 1316 and how to fix it.
This error does not appear in the antivirus engine itself. To check it, the user has to open the event viewer. In addition, the error directly affects Avast Update Helper. That is, the module responsible for updating the program. On the other hand, this problem affects Avast Free and Avast Security.
Furthermore, Avast solved this problem early last year. Therefore, it is likely that the error is related to a failed program update.
What causes Avast Helper Error 1316?
Error 1316 does not appear directly in the Avast antivirus engine. Therefore, you can only detect the error by checking Event Viewer logs. The problem with this error is that it directly affects Avast Update Helper.
You may encounter this problem in two situations. Error 1316 occurs directly after an application update failure or after an interruption in some users’ computer boot. In this case, the error occurs due to a corruption problem. On the other hand, the error message can also occur due to software conflicts. Users who have installed Nvidia ShadowPlay and Avast Security Browser usually face this problem.
How to solve the Avast Helper error 1316?
Uninstalling Avast Secure Browser
Avast Secure Browser (ASB) is known to cause “Error 1316. The specified account already exists”. According to the investigation, there is a conflict between ASB and standard security products or other third-party antivirus applications. The easiest solution is to uninstall ASB.
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box, then type appwiz.cpl in the box and press Enter.
- Scroll down the list of installed programs to find Avast Secure Browser, right-click it, and select Uninstall.
- Then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstallation.
- After uninstalling, restart your computer and check if Avast Update Helper error 1316 is fixed.
Update Avast to the latest version
Many affected users report that Avast Update Helper error 1316 can be fixed by updating Avast to the latest version.
- Launch the Avast app and click on the action menu in the upper right corner.
- Select Settings on the left, then click the General tab and click Update.
- On the Update sub-tab, click Check for updates.
- Avast will then automatically download and install the latest version.
- Wait for a while until the process completes.
- After that, you will be prompted to reboot.
- Accept the reboot and see if the 1316 error disappears the next time you startup.
If “Product: Avast update helper — error 1316. specified account already exists” occurs only after an unexpected computer crash or application update failure, it may be due to a partially corrupted application installation. In this case, you can run the built-in troubleshooter to restore Avast.
- Open the Avast application, click on the action menu in the upper right corner, and select Settings.
- Click the General tab and click on Troubleshooting in the list of submenu items.
- In the right sidebar, scroll down to the Always Troublesome section and click on the Repair app.
- Click Yes at the confirmation prompt and wait for the first scan to complete.
- Once the scan is complete, you will see a list of possible Avast-related issues.
- Click Repair All to fix the problems.
- Now you can restart your computer and check if the “Error 1316 account already exists” problem has been resolved.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here