Last Updated on June 23, 2021
Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Some users have discussed error 0xc0000006 on the software support forums. This error occurs when users try to run some of their programs.
The error message may include the following Application failed to start correctly 0xc0000006. This is a STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR error, which often happens when users try to run software from networked volumes. If you need to fix this error, check out the possible solutions.
What causes error 0xc0000006 (STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR)?
This error often occurs when trying to run an executable from a network volume. It is most likely due to an intermittent problem caused by the overprotection of the firewall or AV package. However, this false positive could also be caused by an incorrect AppInst_DLLs registry value or system corruption.
If the problem occurs when trying to run an executable from a network drive and you are using a third-party package, chances are that the problem is due to a false positive that causes the security package to disconnect from the network drive.
This particular error could also be due to a specific registry key that logs the number of unexpected crashes and hangs affecting third-party applications. However, this particular key can get corrupted and cause error 0xc0000006 (STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR) on your system when it does not.
More often than not, the problem is due to a mismatch in a system file, facilitated by some kind of corruption. Several affected users who had problems solving the problem reported that the problem was solved after running two built-in utilities that can repair corrupted system files: SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management).
How to troubleshoot error 0xc0000006 (STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR)?
Perform a clean startup
Given a large number of applications, drivers, and scripts on an average computer, the likelihood of accidental conflict with third-party software is high. The STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR error (error 0xc0000006) may be caused by this.
You can use Clean Boot Windows to determine if the problem is caused by software conflicts or something else. When using Clean Boot, third-party boot software is disabled.
- Open the Run window by pressing Win+R.
- Type “MSConfig” (without the quotes) in the Run window and click OK.
- Make sure the General tab is selected in the System Configuration dialog box.
- Select Selective Startup and deselect Load Startup I.
- Make sure that the “Load System Services” and “Use Original Boot Configuration” options are checked.
- Go to the Services tab and check the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click Disable All to deselect all third-party auto-run services.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Click Restart.
Try running the software in the new environment. If this works, the culprit is probably a program associated with one of the disabled startup items.
Perform a system file scan
Some users have confirmed that checking the system files can fix error 0xc0000006.
- To run the SFC scan, press the Windows + S key combination.
- Type cmd in the search box to find the command line.
- To open the extended command line, right-click and select Run as administrator.
- At the command prompt, type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter.
- Next, type sfc /scannow and press Enter to start scanning your system files.
- If the scan results in some files being recovered, restart your desktop or laptop.
Editing a Windows registry key can also solve the 0xc0000006 error for some users.
- To do this, open the “Run” window.
- Type Regedit in the Open field, and then the registry editor will open when you click OK.
- Open the path to this registry key: Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> WOW6432Node -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> Windows.
- Select the Windows registry key.
- Double-click Applnit_DLL in the right pane of the registry editor.
- Delete the number in the Edit String window and click OK.
- Exit the registry editor and restart Windows.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
Frequently Asked Questions
- Start your computer and log in as an administrator.
- Click the Start button, then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then click System Restore.
- Select the last system restore point from the "Click restore point in this list", then click Next.
STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR is described as follows: "The instruction in XXX was referencing memory in YYY. This means that the memory manager should have read the memory from the disk, but the disk failed.
The exception code is 0xc0000006. The event ID is 1005. Application error. Description: Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk where the file is stored, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing.