Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Adobe InDesign is useful software and therefore has a significant number of users. However, several InDesign users have recently reported the message “Cannot open the file. Adobe InDesign plug-ins are missing. Please update your plugins to the latest versions.” It appears when users try to open a file created with Adobe InDesign on their computer.
What causes the Adobe InDesign Missing Plugins error?
- The error occurs after installing a third-party plugin for Adobe InDesign.
- When using certain plug-ins included with InDesign.
- Errors associated with plug-ins associated with certain documents.
- Sometimes the error indicates that certain “plug-ins are missing“.
- The error also occurs when referring to a specific plug-in in a collision log file.
How to fix the “missing plug-ins” error in Adobe InDesign?
Remove the plugin information from your file
- Open the InDesign program.
- Click File, then choose the Export option.
- Export the file in .idml format.
- The .idml file format can be opened in any previous version of Adobe InDesign.
- After opening the file in InDesign (for example, CS3), simply save it as .inx and export it as a “.indd” file to remove all of the plugin information stored in that file.
- After completing this process, check to see if the error message appears again.
Tip: This method should help if the program reports a plugin missing (model.indesignplugin channels) error. The problem occurs when you try to open an old .indd file.
Using InEXUtils for Adobe InDesign CC2017
- Download and install the InEXUtils plugin.
- After installing the plugin, open the file in InDesign.
- Next to the help button at the top of the screen, you will notice a new menu called InEXUtils.
- Select it and choose the Ignore missing plug-ins (All documents) option.
- Save the InDesign files again.
Updating Adobe InDesign
As a rule, new versions of the product fix problems with previous versions and add many other interesting features.
The latest version of InDesign includes a new and improved editing process with new editing tools such as “Select Text”, “Insert Text”, and “Strikeout Text”.
Another important feature of this tool is the detection of corrupt documents. Once it detects that a document is corrupt, a tooltip appears and you can choose to have the document restored on Adobe’s servers.
- Visit the official Adobe website and download the latest version of Adobe InDesign.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation process.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
Frequently Asked Questions
To extend InDesign with plug-ins, choose Window -> Browse Plug-ins. These plug-ins can be free or paid. All plug-ins installed/purchased in the Creative Cloud app for InDesign are synchronized with InDesign using this workflow. The Browse Add-ons web page opens.
Go to "Add or Remove Programs", find "OpenAsset for InDesign Plugin", click on the result and you should see the "Uninstall" option. Uninstall this file and the plugin will be removed.
Most likely, something hidden in your InDesign document caused InDesign to mark the file as corrupt. It could be, for example, a corrupted image or a corrupted font file. If it is, try to imagine what has been added to the document since then.
Your problem may also be due to damaged InDesign preferences. To fix this problem, restart InDesign and hold down Ctrl-Alt-Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac OS), then click Yes when prompted to delete your InDesign preference files. This will convert your file, and you'll be able to open it without any problems.