Updated March 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Do I see the error code “NET CERT SYMANTEC LEGACY” in the Google Chrome window? This error is an SSL certificate error and occurs when you try to browse certain websites. Don’t worry about it. Usually, there are two reasons for this problem: wrong date and time on your system or corrupt DNS configuration in your network profile.
What causes the NET CERT SYMANTEC LEGACY error?
The “NET::ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY” error is usually accompanied by the message “This connection is not private“. This error usually occurs because Google Chrome no longer recognizes the Symantec SSL / TLS certificate issued before June 1, 2016.
So, if a site has a certificate from Symantec providers (Rapid SSL GeoTrust, VeriSign, Thawte, Verisign, Equifax, GeoTrust, and RapidSSL) and the certificate has not been updated after June 1, 2016, Chrome 66 will consider it an insecure site and issue a NET::ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY error.
How to resolve the NET CERT SYMANTEC LEGACY Error on Google Chrome
March 2023 Update:
You can now prevent PC problems by using this tool, such as protecting you against file loss and malware. Additionally it is a great way to optimize your computer for maximum performance. The program fixes common errors that might occur on Windows systems with ease - no need for hours of troubleshooting when you have the perfect solution at your fingertips:
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
Disable Chrome extensions
- Click the Configure and manage Google Chrome button.
- Select Other tools and extensions.
- Turn off the toggle switch for each browser extension.
Open the page in a different browser
If the page error is due to outdated Symantec certificates that Chrome (and Firefox) no longer support, there’s not much you can do to fix the problem.
However, the same page will probably work fine in another browser. So try opening the web page in a different browser. A third-party browser is a good browser when it comes to browsing speed, Internet security, and customization options.
Disabling antivirus utilities
The ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY error can sometimes be caused by third-party antivirus programs. Try temporarily disabling third-party antivirus programs.
- You can usually do this by right-clicking on the antivirus program icon in the taskbar and selecting the disable option.
- Then try opening the same web page in Chrome with the antivirus program disabled.
Contact the webmaster of the site
If you can open the same web page in another browser without any problems, contact the webmaster of the site. The site may contain a contact link that you can use to email the webmaster.
Let the webmaster know that you cannot open their site’s pages in Google Chrome due to an ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY error. The webmaster will then probably realize that he needs to replace the site certificate with a new one to solve the problem.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get rid of certificate errors in Chrome?
- Open Chrome and click the menu (the three vertical dots in the top right corner of the browser).
- In the drop-down menu, click Settings.
- At the bottom of the page, click Advanced.
- In the Privacy and Security block, select Clear Browsing Data.
How do I fix an SSL error in Chrome?
Go to Chrome settings, type "Network" and click on "Change proxy settings." Go to the "Security" tab and drag the slider down until you see the "medium-high" security level. Click "Apply" and "OK." Find the "Content" tab, click "Clear SSL Status," click "Apply," "Ok," and restart your browser.
How to solve the browser certificate error problem?
- Diagnose the problem with an online tool.
- Install an intermediate certificate on your web server.
- Create a new certificate signing request.
- Switch to a dedicated IP address.
- Get an SSL certificate with a wildcard.
- Change all URLs to HTTPS.
- Update your SSL certificate.
What is Net :: Err_cert_symantec_legacy?
The "NET::ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY" error is usually accompanied by the message "This connection is not private". This error usually occurs because Google Chrome no longer recognizes the Symantec SSL / TLS certificate issued before June 1, 2016.