Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
It doesn’t seem intuitive to disable notifications in Windows, but if you’ve been using Windows 10 for a while, you’ll probably want to do so. For some reason, Windows 10 has more problems with various USB devices than other versions. I have problems with USB devices in my installations all the time, so I disable notifications. If you would like to know how to enable or disable USB notifications in Windows 10, this document is for you.
While notification is useful when you connect USB drives, cameras, printers, and scanners, it can also be annoying. For example, you have a dual-boot configuration where all devices are configured to work in the other operating system. Getting USB error notifications in Windows 10 can be really annoying. So you can finally turn them off. Here’s how.
To enable or disable USB error notification in Windows 10
- Open the application settings.
- Go to Devices > USB.
- In the right pane, clear (uncheck) the “Warn me if there are problems connecting USB devices” check box. This is enabled by default.
- You can always turn it back on later so that Windows 10 will display notification if there are problems with connected USB devices.
To enable or disable USB error notification with a REG file
1. Perform step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you want to do.
2. To enable USB error notification
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\USB NotifyOnUsbErrors DWORD 0 = off 1 = on
3. To disable USB error notification
4.Save the .reg file to your desktop.
5. Double-click/press the downloaded .reg file to merge it.
6. When prompted, click/press Run, Yes (UAC), Yes and OK to approve the merge.
7. If you wish, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you wish.
The USB connection notification settings in Windows 10 are a great way for users to be notified. I checked it myself and plugged the laptop’s USB charging cable into the charger. As soon as I turn off my phone, a notification appears with the message USB device not recognized. So I suggest you turn it on if it is accidentally turned off to be aware of the malfunction of your external drive.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.