Last Updated on June 20, 2019
Updated September 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Since Microsoft acquired Skype in 2011, the communication platform has quickly changed from the elegant and easy-to-use software we loved.
Skype was once a verb and has joined companies like Google and Facebook whose services are so important to us. We google the questions; we’re friends of WhatsApp………… but we don’t have Skype anymore.
Sad? Maybe. But as technology advances, we sometimes have to move forward because we always prefer to try better things, don’t we? But don’t get me wrong, I still use Skype from time to time.
One thing I found really annoying about the application was the independent opening of Skype. Skype always starts automatically when I open my HP laptop (Windows 10, 64 bit). Worse still, it sometimes runs in the background in a “secret” way and consumes system resources (CPU, memory, hard disk, etc.) on my computer. Does that mean anything to you?
How do I uninstall and reinstall Skype on my Windows 10 desktop?
- Quit Skype. When you see the Skype icon in the taskbar, right-click it and select Exit. If you can’t see it, right-click on the taskbar (or press Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and click Task Manager, then select Skype and click Finish Task.
- Simultaneously press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run dialog box and click OK.
- Find Skype in the list, right-click it and select Delete or Uninstall.
Uninstalling Skype UWP
- Open the Start menu and go to the list of applications. Scroll through the list and find Skype. You can also use Windows Search to find them.
- Once you have found the application, right-click it and the context menu has an uninstall option. Click on it and click on Uninstall in the small confirmation box that opens.
- You can also uninstall Skype-UWP from the application settings. Open the Settings application and go to the Application Preferences group. Go to the Apps & Features tab and wait until the list of installed applications is complete, then click Skype to display an uninstall button. Click on it, confirm the uninstall in the dialog box that opens and Skype will be removed from your system.
Use the application settings
If you want to uninstall Skype, the best way to do so is to use the application settings. To uninstall Skype using the Settings application, simply do the following:
- Open the Settings application. You can do this by pressing the Windows + I shortcut key.
- When the Settings application opens, go to the Apps section.
- The list of applications is displayed. Select Skype from the list. Now click on the Uninstall button. Click again on the Uninstall button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to remove Skype.
As you can see, it’s easy to uninstall the Skype application using one of the following methods. Use PowerShell with caution and the appropriate command. The Settings menu is useful if you need to uninstall several applications, otherwise a right click on the Start menu method works correctly.
If you want to reinstall applications, you can do so from the Microsoft Store – or reinstall preinstalled applications using these PowerShell commands.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.