Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Facebook is a great social networking platform with many features and services that attracts a large number of users around the world. People can upload photos, create profiles and send messages to stay in touch with friends, colleagues and family members. However, users reported a hardware access error when trying to make a video call.
When you try to make a video call in Google Chrome or Messenger, an error occurs when you access Facebook hardware.
- An error occurred while trying to access the camera and/or microphone.
- Hardware access error.
- To make a call, you need to turn on your camera and microphone. This allows people to see and hear you while you are talking.
- You can turn it off later. Learn more.
You will also see a tooltip in the upper right corner that says:
For video chats, you need to allow access to the microphone and camera.
Allow camera and microphone access
The three main causes of this Facebook error are: insufficient permissions, conflicting apps/devices, and outdated system drivers. How do I fix the hardware access error? Keep reading, I’ll show you how to fix the problem in Chrome.
Turn the camera and go to the microphone
- Open settings and go to privacy.
- Under “App permissions,” select “Camera.”
- Click the “Change” button and make sure that camera access is allowed for this device.
- Do the same with the “Microphone” tab.
Restart your computer and look for improvements.
Reset site permissions
Your browser uses site permissions to control site access to various resources. If any of these permissions are incorrectly configured for Facebook, you may encounter the above error. You can solve the problem here by resetting the site permissions. For Chrome, do the following:
- In the address bar of your browser, click the lock icon to the left of the Facebook address, and then click Site Options.
- Now click Reset permissions before permissions.
- Restart Chrome and open Facebook. When prompted for camera and microphone access, allow it and see if it works correctly.
Allow camera and microphone access in Chrome
- In Chrome, press “Menu” and select “Settings.”
- In the search bar at the top, type in the content option.
- Scroll down and click the Content Options tab highlighted in yellow.
- Click Camera. Make sure that “Pre-access Questions” is displayed instead of “Locked” (recommended).
- If Locked is displayed, use the switch to turn it on.
- Also, under Locked and Authorized, make sure that important websites are not blocked from accessing the content.
- Then approach the microphone. Make sure your microphone is turned on and not blocked before you go to questions.
- Click the drop-down menu and select Standard Microphone Array.
- If you are using a third-party microphone, be sure to select the same one.
- Close and restart your Chrome browser.
If you’ve blocked access to the camera and microphone for a website, you may experience a hardware access error. To prevent this from happening, make sure that camera and microphone access is enabled in the Chrome browser.
Update Windows and system drivers
Outdated Windows and system drivers are a major cause of many system problems. If an outdated version of Windows or an outdated system driver is incompatible with the Facebook website, this can lead to a recent hardware access error. In these circumstances, updating Windows and system drivers may solve the problem.
- Update Windows to the latest version.
- Then update the system drivers. It is recommended that you check the vendor’s website for the latest version of system drivers, especially the camera and microphone drivers.
- After updating Windows and system drivers, turn off your computer, then turn it back on and see if the Facebook problem is resolved.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.