Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
When you try to play a Blu-ray Disc on your Windows 10 computer with the VLC application, you sometimes receive the error message “This Blu-ray disc needs a library for AACS decoding”. One of the main causes of this error message is that the disc is protected by AACS and BD+ technology. Another possible reason is a missing KeyDB.cfg file. In this last issue of our troubleshooting series, we will discuss the Blu-ray Disc problem that requires a library for AACS decoding.
If you are having problems with your computer or Android device, please do not hesitate to contact us using this form. We will be happy to help you solve any problems you may have with your device. This is a free service that we offer without any conditions. However, when you contact us, please try to be as detailed as possible so that we can make an accurate evaluation and find the right solution.
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///F:/'. Check the log for details.
What is an AACS decoder?
What is AACS? AACS is the abbreviation for Advanced Access Content System. In general, licensed content contributors can use AACS technology to protect the content they distribute on next generation optical media. And these licensed users have the right to manufacture, produce and sell products that comply with AACS, which aims to prevent illegal acts when copying optical media. What is an AACS decoder? A Blu-ray Disc with AACS cannot be played anywhere unless it is equipped with an AACS decoder. And the AACS decoder is the tool that can help us decode the contents of the disc so that we can play it on the go. This is where the concern comes in: What are the steps in AACS decoding for VLC?
Adding library files to AACS
Note The following steps require you to download a file from a third party website. Your browser may display it as unsafe. We have scanned the files and determined that they are safe to use.
However, due to the unsigned nature of the file, the URL and file are marked first by the browser and then by the computer. Downloading the file is at your own risk.
- Please refer to this link https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/.
- Type the URL in the address bar and press Enter.
- You may see a warning message indicating that the site does not have an SSL certificate.
- Click the following link if you want to continue.
- Under Key Database, click the Get File link.
- This will allow you to download the KeyDB.cfg file.
- Then, in the AACS Dynamic Library section, click on the hyperlink to the file associated with your version of VLC Media Player.
- After downloading, copy the KEYDB.cfg file.
- Press Windows + R to open Run.
- Type %Appdata% and click OK.
- If you are roaming, click on the “New Folder” icon at the top of the page.
- Rename the folder to aacs.
- Open the newly created aacs folder and paste the KEYDB.cfg file you copied in step 5.
Add libaacs.dll to the VLC installation folder
- Get the dynamic AACS file you downloaded now.
- If you are using an x86 version of VLC Media Player on an x64 version of Windows, simply browse to the following location,
- C:\Program files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC
- If you are using an x64 version of the VLC Media Player on an x64 version of Windows or an x86 version of the VLC Media Player on an x86 version of Windows, simply navigate to the following location,
- C:\/VideoLAN Files
- Finally, add the dynamic library file libaacs.dll at this point.
- Now open the VLC Media Player and click when the error is fixed.
The link above to download the specified files will result in an error indicating that the site’s SSL certificate is invalid. You can only ignore it for this site, as no malicious activity has been reported regarding this certificate.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.