Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Error code 48 is a device driver error code that occurs on any Windows 2000 or later versions of the operating system. It occurs when the connected device cannot work because the Windows operating system driver required to install the peripheral programs has been damaged or is incompatible with the system.
The error message delivered is:
“The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)”
Causes of ‘The Software For This Device Has Been Blocked From Starting Because it is Known To Have Problems With Windows’ Error Code 48
Many events may have caused errors in the system files. Incomplete installation, incomplete uninstallation, incorrect removal of applications or hardware. It can also happen when your computer is restored as a result of a virus attack or virus, adware or spyware or an inappropriate computer shutdown.
Another reason for this error is a problem of incompatibility. The other reason for the error message “The driver has been blocked during loading” is an antivirus program that blocks the software you want to install. Finally, the problem can occur if you try to install software from an account without administrative privileges.
All of the above activations may result in the deletion or corruption of Windows registry entries. This corrupted registry results in missing and incorrectly linked information and files that are necessary for the application to work properly.
How to fix Windows Error Code 48?
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
- Run a raised prompt window on your computer: Right-click on the Windows start icon and select Command prompt (Admin).
- In the cmd window, type bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on and press Enter.
- This will automatically disable the application of the driver’s signature to your device.
- To enable this function again, you must execute the following command in a raised cmd window: bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off.
- Right-click My Computer and from the left window area of the window to open on Advanced System Settings.
- Switch from System Properties to the Advanced tab and click Settings under Performance.
- From the Performance Options, go to Data Execution Prevention and make sure that the option ‘Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only’ is enabled.
- Then press Win+R and type gpedit.msc.
- Then navigate to Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Unsigned Driver Installation Behavior.
Use System Restore
- Log in with an administrator account.
- Click the Start button and select All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
- Click Restore my computer to an earlier date, then click Next.
- Select the last Windows recovery point from the “In this list, click on a recovery point” list, then click Next.
- Click Next in the confirmation window to continue.
- Restart your PC after recovery is complete.
Install the driver in safe mode
- Use the Windows + R key combination on your keyboard to launch the Run dialog box and type “msconfig” before clicking OK.
- In the System Configuration window, go to the Startup tab on the right, check the box next to the
- Secure Startup box Click OK, then restart your computer to switch to safe mode.
- Now try to install the driver and see if the same message still appears.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.