Updated March 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
It is always recommended to backup your data before updating from Windows. But if you haven’t and have just switched to Windows 7 and, for some reason, your data is missing after the upgrade, here are some troubleshooting steps you may want to try.
Data missing after upgrading to Windows 7
March 2023 Update:
You can now prevent PC problems by using this tool, such as protecting you against file loss and malware. Additionally it is a great way to optimize your computer for maximum performance. The program fixes common errors that might occur on Windows systems with ease - no need for hours of troubleshooting when you have the perfect solution at your fingertips:
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
1 Check if you can recover your data in the Windows.old folder.
2 In case of incomplete data migration, you can search files in the folders $Windows.~Q and $INPLACE.~TR.
3 If you cannot find the data in the two steps above, use an administrator prompt to check if data files are missing on the entire drive.
For example, to search for images :
Dir *.jpg /a /s > %Userprofile%Desktopjpg_files.txt
4. If you can identify the location where the data was copied, use drag and drop or robocopy.exe to move the files to a more accessible location.
5 If you cannot find any data files on the machine, check the file WindowsPantherSetupact.log and make sure it is an upgrade installation. If this is not the case, you can determine if the partition has been formatted in the log and check the data of the other partitions.
For more information, see item KB930890
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here