Updated February 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Windows offers a hibernation mode in which everything in Windows is temporarily stopped. Returning back in is quick, but if you want to darken the screen immediately, there is no built-in method. In this article, we will provide a list of free software that will instantly turn off the display or screen in Windows.
This guide will show you how to make Windows 10 automatically turn off the screen when your PC is idle for a period of time, or how to configure your PC to turn off the screen when you press the power switch.
Configure a Power Button To Turn Off The Display
- Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options
- On the Power Options screen, click Change Plan Settings for the current power plan. On the next screen, click Advanced Power Plan Settings. A new Power Options window opens. Scroll down to the power buttons and coverage option and expand it.
- There are three options in the Power Buttons and Covers section: Cover Close Action, Power Button Action, and Hibernate Action. Expand the “Power Button Action” action. Click within the set of actions for ‘Battery’ and ‘Plugged In’. Open the drop-down list and select ‘Disable Display’. Click “Apply” and you are done.
February 2023 Update:
You can now prevent PC problems by using this tool, such as protecting you against file loss and malware. Additionally it is a great way to optimize your computer for maximum performance. The program fixes common errors that might occur on Windows systems with ease - no need for hours of troubleshooting when you have the perfect solution at your fingertips:
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
Set Computer to Turn Off Screen after a Preset Time
You can also configure your computer to turn off the screen after a preset period of time, but leave all other functions running:
- Go to Windows settings, select System, then Power and Hibernation.
- You will then see separate settings for the screen and hibernation.
- Set the time after the screen is turned off (you can set the time up to 1 minute if you wish).
- For Sleep, set the time to “Never”.
Turning off the laptop screen with the “Turn off screen” script
Turn off screen” is a script file available for download from the Microsoft TechNet repository. The Bat file turn off screen disables the screen.
After downloading the “Turn Off Screen” bat file, simply double-click the bat file to turn off the laptop screen. Double-clicking the bat file displays a command prompt window for a few seconds before the screen is turned off.
You can pin the bat file “Turn off screen” to the taskbar or Start menu or save it to the desktop for quick access.
I hope you find this article useful.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.