Updated November 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Windows updates are designed to improve operating system performance. In some cases, however, they introduce problems that affect the user experience. For example, when the Windows 10 update patch KB4023057 was released, many users complained that it slowed down their PCs. Apparently, the Sedlauncher.exe program takes up most of the disk space.
This can be frustrating when the Sedlauncher.exe program consumes your RAM, especially since it leaves little memory to perform other tasks, such as opening a web page or playing a video. This is why it is important that you learn how to solve the problem of Sedlauncher.exe’s heavy disk usage in Windows 10.
What is the Sedlauncher.exe program?
Sedlauncher.exe is a file used to improve the components of the Windows update service. This file is copied on your system with the Windows 10 update patch KB4023057. The location of the file is in the directory “C:\Programs” of the system, in the folder “rempl”. Sedlauncher.exe is included in the Windows Remediation Service to help secure and speed up the Windows 10 update process. However, it may also cause the problem of high disk usage. Users can be very disappointed when an update file consumes RAM and CPU. Where they have to be used for other tasks, such as playing games or using the browser. Sedlauncher.exe has a digital signature from Microsoft and is not a virus.
However, as mentioned above, if this file is not in the following location, you will need to perform a full system scan. Some malware disguises itself as a legitimate process that resides in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder. You can try to download the malware bytes for Windows and run them to scan your system.
The REMPL folder contains the following files and folders on my Windows 10 computer:
Should you remove Sedlauncher.exe or terminate the process in the task manager?
Although the Sedlauncher.exe file is useful for Windows updates, if the process associated with the file causes high disk usage and slows down your computer, try to update Windows with the latest version in case Microsoft has released a fix.
You can disable Sedlauncher.exe from the Task Manager or Service Manager window.
Kill the Sedlauncher.exe Process using the Task Manager
- You can complete the process associated with the Sedlauncher.exe file using the task manager.
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open the security options window. Select Task Manager to open the Task Manager window.
- Right-click on the Windows Remediation Service task and select End Task.
- This interrupts the process for a while, but the problem may reappear later after the system is rebooted.
Disable REMPL Task
- Press the “Win + R” keys on your keyboard, type “taskschd.msc” in the Run dialog box, then press the Enter key.
- In the Task Scheduler window, click the arrow next to “Task Scheduler Library” to activate the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the “Microsoft -> Windows -> fill” folder.
- On the right side of the window you will see a “Shell” task.
- Select the task and press the delete button, then confirm with Yes.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.