RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
When you try to launch Microsoft Office programs on your computer, you may encounter a problem with the configuration registry database: the “Corrupt” error. Office applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook cannot start and display the error. We have observed this problem in all versions of Office, including 2013, 2016, 2019 and Office 365.
If some of the registry files associated with the Office program are damaged or corrupted, this problem can occur with the registry database configuration is a corruption error. As our research indicates, we have listed all possible troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem with the Office programs and to ensure that they are working properly.
If you encounter a corruption error in your computer’s configuration registry database, this guide will help you solve the problems.
Performing Windows Built-in Troubleshooting
This troubleshooter automatically diagnoses and repairs common problems with Windows Update.
- Click Start, locate and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, look for the Troubleshooting option and click it.
- In the left pane, click Show All. Select Windows Update.
- Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.
Restoring Windows 10 to a Previous Operating State
The next method to resolve the “The configuration registry database is corrupt” is to restore your system to a previous operating state. To do this, do the following:
- Boot your system from the Windows installation media.
- Click Next, then click Repair Your Computer > Troubleshooting.
- Under Advanced Options, click System Restore.
- If the Restore to previous build option is available on this screen, select it.
- On the next screen, click your operating system.
- Then, under System Restore Wizard, click Next, then select a previous operating state (date/time) and click Next to start the restore process.
DISM /RestoreHealth Scan
- Right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)
- When the command prompt opens, copy (Ctrl+C) and paste (Right Click > Paste) the following command, then press Enter:
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- When DISM has finished scanning your component warehouse, connect your CBS log to your next station:
Repair of the Office Installation
If this error occurs when you try to open an Office application such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, you are probably experiencing a corruption problem originating in your registry files.
As confirmed by several affected users, you can expect this error after an AV has quarantined some files in the Microsoft Office suite. If this scenario is true, the Office installation should be able to repair itself and any associated corrupted registry files.
Follow the instructions below to start an Office repair from the Programs and Features menu:
- Windows + R key to open a Run dialog box. Then type “appwiz.cpl” in the text box and press Enter to open the Programs and Features menu.
- When you are in the Programs and Features menu, scroll through the list of installed applications and locate your Office installation.
- When you see it, right-click Microsoft Office and click Change in the shortcut menu that appears.
- On the next screen, select Online Repair, make sure your Internet connection is active, and wait for the process to complete.
- Wait until the process is complete, then restart your computer and see if the problem is resolved the next time you start your computer.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.