RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
You have scheduled an appointment in Outlook 2016 or 2013, but now you want to cancel it without sending a cancellation notification to all invited persons. If you delete the appointment from your calendar, only the options are available:
- Send cancellation
- Do not cancel
There is a clear difference between the meeting and appointment functionality in Outlook. It is easy to cancel the meeting, but how can I cancel an appointment without spamming the group? I didn’t intend to send an invitation to the large group of people – I just used bulk email and thought I was just creating an appointment in my calendar without knowing that the email was being sent to the whole list. What can I do to recall this email if the cancel option is not available?
Find out how to cancel the appointment without sending the cancellation notification to participants.
Configure your Outlook for offline status
- In Outlook 2010 and 2013, please go to the Send/Receive tab and then click the Work Offline button.
- In Outlook 2007, please click on File > Work Offline.
- After selecting the Work Offline button, click the
- Go to the calendar view.
- Click to select the meeting you want to cancel and double-click to open it.
- Alternatively, you can simply select the meeting and press the Delete key on your keyboard, then go to step 5 below.
- In the meeting window that opens, click Cancel Meeting in the Actions group under the Meeting tab.
- Then click the Send Cancel button.
- Now the cancellation email will be blocked in your Outbox, please switch to the Mail view and click to open the Outbox folder.
- Right-click the email in the Outbox folder and select Delete from the context menu.
- Click the Work Offline button to reconnect to the Internet. Your cancelled meeting is not sent to anyone else and is only deleted from your own calendar.
Delete all email addresses from the To field to cancel the meeting
- You can also change the To field in the cancellation e-mail. Open the Outlook calendar view.
- Select the meeting in the calendar.
- Select the Cancel Meeting option.
- Delete all email addresses in the To field.
- Then click the Send Cancellation button.
The meeting, including the meeting agenda, notes and attachments, is deleted from Outlook.
Only the meeting organizer – the person who sends a meeting request – can send a meeting update or cancellation.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.