RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
VirtualBox is an Oracle virtualization software package that allows you to host multiple operating systems on a single physical machine. It can create and manage guest virtual machines, each with a guest operating system and its own virtual environment. VirtualBox has the advantage of saving physical space, energy and material costs.
However, many users report that they cannot start VirtualBox. The critical error message displayed is “Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object. The application will terminate.” This may be due to a lack of administrator access when installing the software or insufficient permissions to start VirtualBox services.
However, you will notice that the above error can be corrected by different methods. To correct the error message you are currently experiencing, try some of these options and see if it works for you.
How to Fix ‘Failed to Acquire the VirtualBox COM Object’ Error
Run VirtualBox in Compatibility mode
- Go to your Start menu / or where your VirtualBox is installed.
- Find the Oracle VirtualBox application in it.
- Right-click on it and go to Properties.
- Under the Compatibility tab, you will find an option (checkbox) to run the program in compatibility mode.
- Check this box if it is not already selected and you will be able to select the version of Windows with which you want to make it compatible.
- Select one after the other, from the latest version (Windows 10) to the oldest, you will usually find the VirtualBox you are using that is compatible with Windows 7 or Vista.
- Apply and save your changes and run VirtualBox to check if the problem persists.
Register VirtualBox Command
- Open the Start menu. Type cmd and press Enter to open the command prompt. You can also click on the Command Prompt shortcut.
- Right-click or type and hold, then open the More submenu, then click or press Run as administrator.
- Place the current ‘cd’ directory in the directory where VirtualBox is installed. The directory is “C://Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox”.
- Enter the following commands, followed by Enter.
- Exit the command prompt and restart your computer to verify that the error persists.
Install VirtualBox with administrator privileges
- Press Windows + R to open a Run dialog box. Then type “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter to open the Programs and Features window.
- Under Programs and Features, scroll down the list of applications and search for Oracle VM VirtualBox. Once you have seen it, right-click and click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation and restart your computer.
- When the following boot sequence is complete, visit the official VirtualBox website. Under VirtualBox Platform Packages, click on Windows hosts to start the download.
- Do not double-click as you would normally do once the download is complete. Right-click on the download bar of your browser and click on View in folder.
- Right-click on the VirtualBox installer and select Run as administrator.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reinstallation of VirtualBox.
- Restart your computer and check that the VirtualBox error message is still present.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.