Error code 0x80240016 is an error that occurs when the Windows Update tool fails to complete its process. Although it occurs most often in Windows 10, there are variants of this error in earlier Windows systems as well. The steps to fix the error are the same for each of these systems.
What causes error 0x80240016?
- Common WU error.
- Badly cached WU data
- Damaged system file
- Firewall under protection
How to repair the error 0x80240016?
Launch SFC scan
- Run the command line as an administrator.
- When the UAC window appears, click Yes.
- In the expanded console, type “sfc/scannow” and press Enter.
- Allow this tool to find and repair corrupted system files that it detected during the scan.
- The whole process may take 15-20 minutes, so wait patiently.
- Reboot your computer immediately after the process is complete.
Using system restore points
If you created a restore point on your computer some time ago, you can use that backup to restore your device. If you haven’t backed up your personal files or folders, you have no choice but to reinstall Windows 10.