RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
We have already seen what temporary files are in Windows. Temporary files in Windows are useless files whose use is only temporary and which become superfluous once the task is finished. These temporary files must be deleted as soon as the program is closed. However, this is not always the case, which leads to a waste of storage space.
Although the presence of these temporary files does not really affect the performance of your operating system, regular removal is only a matter of good home practice, and you should do it regularly. How often you should do this depends on how aggressively you use your computer. But for most users, I think it should at least be good enough to delete such temporary files once a month.
Windows Disk Cleanup
Today I will write about the steps to delete temporary files in Windows 10/8, using the built-in Disk Cleanup Utility. This article was written with beginners in mind who don’t know how to use the tool.
Let me describe it step by step :
Steps to delete temporary files in Windows 10/8/7
- Step 1 – Move the cursor up right and click’Search’. Go to the settings and enter Disk Cleanup in the search box. Then click on’Free space by cleaning up unnecessary files’ or ‘Disk Cleanup Desktop App’.
- Step 2 – You will get a box with cleaning and drive selection. Select the drive whose temporary files you want to delete. Normally, temporary files are stored in the C drive, which affects system performance.
- Step 3 – Now you will see a box asking for the files to be deleted. Select the files you want to delete from your system and click OK. As my system only has a few weeks, my temporary files only occupy 52.2 MB.
- Step 4 – The disc cleaning system now requests confirmation. Click Remove Files to continue. Note that if you click on Clean System Files System Restore Points, Windows Update Cleanup, previous Windows installations, etc., you will not be able to install the system.
- Step 5 – You have finished your work, and the disk cleaning utility does the rest.
The disk cleaning utility in Windows 10/8 is almost similar to Windows 7
You can also access the disk cleaning utility by going directly to Disk C properties on drive C. Then click on ‘Properties’.
Step 2 – You will see a box with the properties of local disk C. Click ‘Clean Disk’.
The rest corresponds to steps 3, 4 and 5
Do you need more cleaning? 12)
- Run cleanmgr /sageset:1. You will see more cleaning options
- Use CCEnhancer for CCleaner to clean more
- Delete installations/Windows.old
- Make Disk Cleanup Tool deletes ALL temporary files, including those created within the last 7 days
- Delete previous system images and backups. Open Control Panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7) > Manage Disk Space.
- Delete the $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS files.
Click here to find other ways to free up and increase disk space on Windows computers. You can also use free unnecessary file cleaners such as CCleaner or Quick Cleaner to easily remove temporary and unnecessary files in Windows.
In Windows 10 v1703, you can also delete files and clean your hard disk using Windows 10 settings.
See this article if the Clean Disc button is missing. Under Windows 10 v1803, you can now use Windows 10 settings to free up disk space.