Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
One of the most common problems is the Windows 10 error when applying attributes, which is usually displayed with the message: An error occurred when attributes were applied to the file: Access is denied.
Each time you receive an access denial error message or other error when accessing or working with files/folders on Windows 10, you receive either the access denial error (or a similar message), so you cannot access or modify files or folders (change/save/delete), or open files or folders after an upgrade or a new version of Windows.
It turns out that this particular problem can also occur due to a fairly common Windows 10 error that usually occurs when the system has to apply certain attributes. In this case, some files or folders may not have full control, even if the file is configured to be opened by the Administrators group.
If this scenario is applicable, you should be able to solve the problem by changing administrator permissions. Several users concerned confirmed that this process was successful because they were able to open the file or folder without encountering the error “Error in the application of attributes to the file”.
Here is a brief guide on how to customize the permissions of the file or folder that fails in this particular error:
- Open the File Explorer and browse to the location of the file that does not work with this particular error.
- Once in the correct location, right-click on the file that is causing you problems, right-click and select
- Properties from the context menu.
- Once in the Properties window, select the Security tab from the horizontal menu at the top of the screen.
- Then select the Administrators group in the Group or User Name field, and click the Edit button to change the currently applied permissions.
- Once you have done this, you will be redirected to the Permissions window. Once you have arrived, select the Total Control check box to allow it and click Apply to save the changes.
Taking ownership of the file or folder
As a general rule, the message Windows 10 Error Applying Attributes is displayed either because you do not have the appropriate permissions or because the file is encrypted. Recent Windows 10 upgrades from previous versions may have changed some account information, denying you access or ownership because you may no longer have some files or directories.
You can solve this problem by restoring the property by following these steps:
- Right-click on the folder you want to support.
- Select Properties.
- Click on the Security tab
- Click on Advanced
- Click on Edit. If you are prompted to enter an administrator password or confirmation, enter the password or enter a confirmation.
- Enter the name of the person to whom you want to transfer the property.
- Click on Check names. The account name of the person to whom you are assigning the property appears.
- Click on OK.
- If you want this person to be the owner of the files and sub-folders contained in this folder, select the
- Replace owners of sub-containers and objects check box.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.