Updated January 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
On Thursday Microsoft revealed Preview Build 18970 to Insiders in the Fast ring, that brings a new tablet experience for 2-in-1 convertible PCs and a Reset this PC Cloud download option.
This Insider update also includes other improvements, features and fixes..
If you’re a Windows Insider in the Fast ring, you can update to the Preview Build 18970 by going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update and then looking for the latest update.
What’s new in Build 18970
Introducing a new tablet experience for 2-in-1 convertible PCs!
They’re starting to deploy a new tablet application for 2-in-1 convertible PCs in beta form for Windows Insiders. This new experience allows users to get into the tablet’s stance without interrupting the familiar desktop experience, in addition to some important tactile improvements:
- The distance between taskbar icons has been increased.
- The search box on the taskbar has been reduced to an icon.
- File Explorer switches to an optimized layout.
- Touch the keyboard to automatically call it up when you touch the text boxes.
- In this context, they have also made some small changes to the tablet section of the Settings pane.
This experience is currently available for some of the insiders. Here are the steps you’ll need to follow once they’re available on your PC:
- Use your convertible PC as your laptop, as you would normally do – by opening and interacting with applications.
- When you’re ready to record and use it, or just lean over the sofa, you can collapse or completely remove the keyboard, and it should switch to this new mode.
- Now use your device as a touchpad.
Introducing a new Reset this PC option–Cloud Download
Resetting this PC now allows the user to download Windows or perform a local reinstall. Previously, resetting this PC could only perform a local reinstall and had to create a new Windows installation from existing Windows files. When this feature was introduced in Windows 10 version 1507, it had the advantage that Windows could be restored without additional hard disk space to store a compressed backup copy of Windows in a hidden partition. They’ve heard that some of you would prefer to use your high-speed Internet connection to speed up this process by simply downloading Windows.
Important note: This is a recovery operation that removes the applications you have installed. In addition, if you select the “Delete all” option, the user’s data will also be deleted. For more information about resetting this PC and other recovery options, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options
The cloud download option installs the same compilation, version, and edition as the one currently installed on your device. This new cloud download option is available for all Windows 10 devices and is different from the Get in the cloud feature available on some previous Windows 10 devices.
- The cloud download option does not currently work if certain optional features are installed. The process starts, but an error occurs and the changes are discarded. To avoid this problem, remove the optional features before trying the cloud download option. The optional features are: EMS and SAC Toolset for Windows 10, IrDA infrared, Print Management Console, RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK), RIP Listener, all RSAT tools, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Windows Fax and Scan, Windows Storage Management, Wireless Display, WMI SNMP Provider.
Other updates for Insiders
Continuing the Cortana rollout
The new Cortana experience is now available to all Fast Ring insiders in the USA. If it’s available on your device and you haven’t tried it yet, we’d love to hear your opinion!
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed a DWM memory leak that was impacting the previous two flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some WSL distros not loading (Issue #4371).
- We fixed an issue impacting a small number of Insiders, involving a lsass.exe crash and resulting in a message saying, “Windows ran into a problem and needs to restart.”
- We fixed an issue resulting in WIN+(period) closing if you tried to search for an emoji when focus was set to a text field in an Electron app.
- We fixed two issues that could result in Settings crashing when interacting with options on the Search page.
- We’ve done some work to help improve the launch performance of Settings when the Setters header is visible.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders experiencing a bug check with BTHport.sys in recent flights.
- It’s important to periodically back up your data. Starting in recent Insider builds, Windows Home and Pro users without a first party backup solution will now see a friendly reminder to consider setting up a backup option that is included with Windows. If you’d prefer to turn this off, there’s an option to do so in the notification.
- We’re working on addressing feedback about the acrylic in certain surfaces not appearing immediately. In this build, it’s fixed for Start menu, the volume flyout, the network flyout, the clock & calendar flyout, and notification toasts.
- We’ve made some bug fixes and improvements to Magnifier reading capabilities.
- Improved Magnifier performance when moving the mouse around the screen.
- We resolved an issue where Control + Alt + L would not put Magnifier into Lens mode.
- No one likes bugs, so we squashed several of them related to the new text cursor indicator. Text cursor indicator now appears and disappears more reliably. We also fixed an issue where text cursor indicator preview in settings did not change size when text scaling was on.
- We have made improvements in Magnifier reliability.
We fixed an issue where the File Explorer search suggestions weren’t being read out by Narrator.
- We fixed an issue in Narrator where it would speak “unknown” if you had the “Header Status” column enabled within Outlook as you arrowed between different email messages.
- We fixed a couple Narrator dialog reading issues. Narrator would sometimes speak “empty document” or stop the dialog reading too early.
- We fixed an issue where Narrator would not always speak the group name of a radio button on web pages.
- We fixed an issue with Narrator and Excel not speaking the column header when arrowing between cells in a table.
- We fixed an issue where Narrator would only speak “item” when navigating by table cells in an Outlook email instead of reading the entire cell’s contents.
- Narrator will now read webpages from the top of the page and not at the main landmark with a fallback to find a paragraph. Thank you for your feedback!
- Narrator now supports the aria-haspopup property.
- Improved Outlook performance and stability when reading mail messages in Outlook.
- We have made improvements in Narrator reliability.
- We made a change to Narrator input learning, so you just have to press Narrator + 1 once to turn input learning off. Thank you for your feedback.
- We fixed an issue when a user navigated to a webpage in Edge, Narrator would read just the URL field and not the webpage.
- We fixed an issue when a user was replying to an email in Outlook, Narrator was automatically reading the message while the user was trying to type.
- There has been an issue with older versions of anti-cheat software used with games where after updating to the latest 19H1 Insider Preview builds may cause PCs to experience crashes. We are working with partners on getting their software updated with a fix, and most games have released patches to prevent PCs from experiencing this issue. To minimize the chance of running into this issue, please make sure you are running the latest version of your games before attempting to update the operating system. We are also working with anti-cheat and game developers to resolve similar issues that may arise with the 20H1 Insider Preview builds and will work to minimize the likelihood of these issues in the future.
- Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly. We are investigating the issue.
- We’re working on a fix for an issue resulting in the minimize, maximize, and close title bar buttons not working for certain apps. If you’re using an impacted app, Alt+F4 should work as expected to close the app if needed.
- Text on Devices pages in Settings for “Bluetooth and Other Devices” and “Printers and Scanners” isn’t rendering correctly.
- Search isn’t working for Insiders using certain display languages, including Polish. If you are impacted by this, switching your display language to English then back to your preferred display language should resolve it.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here