RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Many Windows users encounter the error 0x80070021 when trying to copy a file from one location to another. Other users see this error when they try to host a WCF service in an ASP.NET application. However, in most cases, the problem is reported when users try to manage Outlook data files (.pst and.ost).
Microsoft Outlook 0x80070021 An error usually occurs when you use Outlook Express. This error makes your Outlook inaccessible. Users may find errors such as “the process cannot access the file because another process has locked a part of the file. So before moving on to methods, we should find the reasons for the Outlook 0x80070021 error.
What are the reasons for the error 0x80070021?
There are several reasons for the error 0x80070021 and some of them are:
- This type of error is usually displayed when MS Outlook was not closed correctly last time.
- It is possible that Outlook will still run in the background even if it is closed.
If the system is installed with some Outlook-based add-ins. it will continue to run after the Outlook window application closes.
Enabling HTTP activation via.NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services
Try to unlock the relevant IIS configuration settings (7.5) at the server level as follows:
- Open IIS Manager
- Select the server from the Connections pane.
- Open the configuration editor from the main menu.
- From the Sections drop-down list, select the section to unlock, for example system.webServer > defaultPath.
- In the right pane, click Unlock Attribute.
- Repeat this operation for all other settings that you need to unlock.
- Restart IIS (optional) – Select the server in the Connections pane, then click Restart in the Actions pane.
Using System Restore
- Log in to your system as an administrator.
- Click the Start button on the desktop >> Click All Programs >> Windows Accessories >> System Tools >> System Tools >> System Tools >> System Restore.
- Now select “Restore my computer at an earlier time”.
- Under the option, click on a “Restore Point” in this list, select the last recovery option of the system, and then click Next.
- In the confirmation window, click on Next.
- Reboot your system when the recovery process is complete.
Manual installation of the ASP.NET Role Service for IIS
a. Open Server Manager > Roles and search for the Web Server Role (IIS). Right-click and select Add Role Services.
b. Locate and highlight the element named ASP.NET in the IIS Role Application Development section.
c. Click Next and Exit to install these components.
Close Outlook with the Task Manager
If you see the error 0x80070021 when you try to copy Outlook data files to another location (USB stick, OneDrive, various hard drives, etc.), it is likely that your operating system will not let you complete the process because the file is still used by Outlook.
This happens because Outlook tends to run in the background even after the traditional shutdown. In most cases, it is reported that older versions of Outlook behave in this way.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.