Updated February 2023: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Some Xbox One users report that their Xbox One console suddenly displays the “Additional Authentication Needed” error when they try to connect their console to their home network. Most affected users report that the problem suddenly appeared out of nowhere (no changes were made to the Internet network).
If you encounter this problem, your first attempt to resolve it should be to delete the alternate MAC address currently stored on your console and see if you can connect to the Internet normally. If this doesn’t work for you, you can also try using the physical address of your PC as the dedicated MAC address on your console.
Keep in mind, however, that this type of error can also be facilitated by your router if you have previously applied a network lock. In this case, you must log into your router settings and disable access control or remove your Xbox console from the list of blocked devices.
If the “Additional authentication required” error is caused by a local inconsistency, you can force the Xbox One system to delete all temporary data by forcing a shutdown during a test connection or by performing a power-on procedure.
Finally, if nothing else works, you should contact your Internet Service Provider to determine whether a security or contractual violation has caused them to restrict your network.
Resetting Your Xbox One and Modem
Sometimes a hard reset can help you solve strange problems. A hard reset of the Xbox One controller and modem will help many users fix the bug that their Xbox One does not connect to Xbox Live. So don’t hesitate to try it.
To perform a hard reset of your Xbox One
- Press and hold the Xbox logo on your console until the console turns off.
- Wait a moment, then turn your console back on by pressing the same Xbox button on your console.
February 2023 Update:
You can now prevent PC problems by using this tool, such as protecting you against file loss and malware. Additionally it is a great way to optimize your computer for maximum performance. The program fixes common errors that might occur on Windows systems with ease - no need for hours of troubleshooting when you have the perfect solution at your fingertips:
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
To reset your hard drive router
Reboot your router and modem if you think your network is not working as it should. Maybe web pages aren’t loading, Netflix freezes for half a movie, or your smart speakers suddenly stop playing music.
Either way, restarting your router gives it time to cool down and wipe its memory. Sometimes, especially with older hardware, just having the router turned on and running in overdrive mode for too long will require a reboot.
Changing the Alternative MAC Address
- Open Xbox One settings
- In the Console section, select Network
- Select advanced settings
- Select another MAC address
- Enter the alternative MAC address and press Enter.
- For the change to take effect, you must reboot the console.
Check the Xbox Live Services
- On your keyboard, simultaneously press the Windows logo key + the R key to open the “Run” field.
- Type services.msc in the field and click OK.
- In the opened Services window, scroll down. Locate and right-click on Xbox Live Networking Service, then select Properties.
- In the General window, set the Startup Type in the drop-down menu to Automatic.
- Then click Apply > OK to save your settings.
- Now that it’s back in the Services window, right-click Xbox Live Networking Service again. This time, select Start.
- Note: If the Start option is grayed out, select Restart instead.
Continue with the same settings for Xbox Live Auth Manager and Xbox Live Game Save by following the same steps above. You are normally excluded from the Xbox Live Networking service.
Power Cycle your Xbox Console
Turn the console and network hardware on and off. If the modem/router is available in your room, unplug it, wait a minute or two, plug it back in, and then follow the other steps below
- Restart your Xbox one console.
- Check your Xbox Live connection by going to your Xbox settings and selecting All Settings, then going to Network Settings, and finally selecting Test Network Connection. If successful, you are now connected to the wireless network.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.