Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
Error 0x800F0831 is a common problem with Windows updates. This error is usually accompanied by the message: Installation failed: Windows was unable to install the following update with error 0x800F0831.
This error can occur when trying to perform a traditional cumulative update installation or update Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10.
What causes error 0x800f0831?
In general, error 0x800f0831 is caused by Windows Store cache, Windows Update service unavailable, antivirus software, or update files corrupted.
There are several causes for this problem:
- Windows registry
- Windows file system
- Internet access
- Windows Update service
- Corrupted files
- Improper configuration
- Viruses and malware
How to resolve the error 0x800f0831?
Search for corrupted system files
- Open a command prompt with administrative privileges. To do this, right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- At the command line, type: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and press Enter.
- This command scans and restores corrupted system files.
Temporarily disable antivirus
- Click on the Windows icon.
- Go to Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Security -> Virus and Threat Protection -> Manage Settings.
- Disable real-time protection
Disabling the proxy server
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box, type inetcpl.cpl in the Run field, and press Enter.
- Select Connections, then open LAN Settings.
- Find the Automatically Detect Settings checkbox and select it.
- Finally, uncheck the proxy server box.
Performing a “Clean Start” of Windows 10
- Press Windows+R
- Type MSConfig and press Enter
- Go to the Services tab and select Hide and disable all Microsoft services.
- Go to the Startup tab and disable it.
- Reboot the system.
- After restarting, check whether error 0x800f0831 is fixed or not.
Run the Windows 10 troubleshooter
- Open the Control Panel, press Window + X, and select Control Panel.
- Find Troubleshooter using the search box and click Troubleshooter.
- In the System and Security section, click Troubleshoot Windows Update.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Download the missing KB package.
- Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
- Run SFC and DISM scans.
- Protect your privacy online with a VPN client.
- Data recovery tools can prevent irreversible file loss.
- Troubleshoot Windows Update.
- Check for corrupted system files.
- Temporarily disable your antivirus program.
- Disable your proxy server.
- Reset the Windows Update components.
- Perform a clean system boot.
Error code 0x800f0831 is actually an error check that appears when a user tries to update to Windows 10 or download an available update. In general, error code 0x800f0831 blocks the upgrade process when a user tries to upgrade their Windows 7/8/8.1 operating system to Windows 10.
Go to the Windows Update page and click Check Update History. A window will open showing all the updates that have been installed on your computer or that have failed to install. In this window, in the Status column, locate the update that failed to install and then click the red X.